VOGONS

First post, by AppleDash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just purchased an SC55 on eBay from Japan that claims to be tested in working condition. It powers on fine, and when I got it I reset it to factory settings just to be safe. I am using a HardMPU card ( https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WrIAAOSwwGdZ0BCt/s-l1600.jpg ) with the default jumper settings, and DOOM set to Sound Canvas sound with again, the default settings. Sound comes through, but it just sounds... wrong. I was wondering if there is something obvious I am missing, some misconfiguration or some setup step I need to do with the SC55. Here is a recording of the sound made from the SC55 to the line in jack of my modern computer: https://appledash.org/doom_sc55.wav

Any suggestions? I'd really like to get this working!

Main retro system: Am486 DX4 100MHz | 128K cache | 16MB RAM | VLB Mach32 | Sound Blaster 16 | HardMPU w/ MT-32 or SC-55 | MS-DOS 6.22; no Windows

Reply 1 of 6, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hear a bunch of extra off-key notes and some hanging, my first suspicion would be the HardMPU but others might have a better idea for you. I don't have experience with the MPU.

Reply 2 of 6, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No idea on the HardMPU, if you have a sound card with a standard 15pin joystick port, I'd recommend just using that.
Also how are your cables connected? I think Doom is one of the games that does weird things if you have the SC-55's MIDI ouput connected to the computer's MIDI input. You should only use the computer output->module input part of your cable. You could also have a damaged MIDI cable, it happens more often then you'd think.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 3 of 6, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's hard to say anything without knowing what your exact setup is, what cables you have, and what's connected, but I'd suggest trying a regular ol' sound card instead of the HardMPU and disconnecting the MIDI OUT on the SC-55. If that doesn't fix anything then maybe try new cables?

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 4 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

could be worth to do a reset on the sc-55 (or better yet just remove the internal cr-2032 battery) and try again

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 6, by AppleDash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions - as usual, I solved the problem on my own within hours of posting this thread.
I was using a Sound Blaster 32 PnP, and it was somehow conflicting with the HardMPU. I could not find a jumper on the board to disable the built in MPU emulation on the Sound Blaster, and I could not find a way to do it in the software either. So I replaced it with a Sound Blaster 16 that has a hardware jumper to disable the built in MPU emulation. I set that up, and it now works fine!

Main retro system: Am486 DX4 100MHz | 128K cache | 16MB RAM | VLB Mach32 | Sound Blaster 16 | HardMPU w/ MT-32 or SC-55 | MS-DOS 6.22; no Windows

Reply 6 of 6, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AppleDash wrote:

Sound Blaster 32 PnP . . . I could not find a jumper on the board to disable the built in MPU emulation on the Sound Blaster, and I could not find a way to do it in the software either.

You cannot disable the MPU-401 port on PnP Sound Blasters. But you can tell them to use different resources. Move the Sound Blaster's MPU-401 to an I/O port other than 0x330 and you should be all set.