VOGONS

First post, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A while back I picked this device up, it was about to be trashed. It has been laying in my untested pile of hardware for some time.

I actually have no idea what it is, here are some pictures. I'm not really a midi expert. Also, I can not find much on the internet what exactly its used for and how except for some obscure italian webpages. I understand it is some kind of midiplayer, but in what context? computing, music production, midiplayer, piano stuff..?

Anyhow, the unit starts and seems to work fine, although I have no midi cables to actually test it. So, what can this device do?

WP_20180823_0.PNG
WP_20180823_1.PNG
WP_20180823_2.PNG

Last edited by dottoss on 2019-05-02, 19:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a MIDI sequenser and file player. The ripped off Rolands early Sound Canvas design and would work like a Roland Sound Brush.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 4, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

Looks like a MIDI sequenser and file player. The ripped off Rolands early Sound Canvas design and would work like a Roland Sound Brush.

Cool! Thanks Kamerat! I read up on the SB-55 and if I understand correctly the function of a sound brush(er), it plays the .mid files from floppy disks outputting it to the MIDI-OUT and then one would connect for example a Roland canvas device to it?

Reply 3 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes that's right. It can also record/sequens MIDI if I understand correctly.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 4, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

Yes that's right. It can also record/sequens MIDI if I understand correctly.

Thanks! I have no understanding what "sequencing" means or does but you saved this piece of italian hardware from certain disassembling and part scavenging from my side. I have limited understanding of MIDI and/or audio overall but it's one of my goal to learn and dwell into so this device will be saved for when I have successfully sourced some Roland products. Ah, the joy of re-discovering old tech 😀