VOGONS

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I bought this AWE64 Gold card for very reasonable price at local auctions (paid ~35 USD in Polish money) - only the card, no manuals, box etc unfortunatelly…
Guy sold it as unknown/not working condition, but it works perfectly fine in my junky 486 and passes all the tests without problems… It is in perfect visual condition as well (only missing thing is plastic part of the CD-ROM header which I can easly replace)…

So, anything cool can be done with this (other than selling it for more money which I will probably do ;D )? Late 90s when these cards were popular were dominated by PCI soundcards like PCI Sound Blasters, ESS Maestro, YMF 7x4s and Vortex so I didn't really cared much for old ISA back then…

First run: https://youtu.be/paPHDJl5fWA

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AWE64 doesn't have a CD-ROM header. The headers on the board are for a RAM upgrade and are not supposed to have a plastic shroud on them.

I say keep it for the DOS games that support AWE32/64 directly and for General MIDI in Windows.

You will also have better DOS compatibility than most PCI cards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

AWE64 doesn't have a CD-ROM header. The headers on the board are for a RAM upgrade and are not supposed to have a plastic shroud on them.

I say keep it for the DOS games that support AWE32/64 directly and for General MIDI in Windows.

They have cdrom audio headers not cdrom ide headers; I believe he is referring to the former.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

They have cdrom audio headers not cdrom ide headers; I believe he is referring to the former.

Now that you mention it... that makes sense. 😊

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 7, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I refered to CD Audio connector.

For DOS games I have a bunch of other Creative cards - AWE32, three AWE64s Value, SB16 Value and MT-32. Sadly none of them is 100% Legacy ISA, still SB16 works fine in my 286. I've always been curious about the "Gold" edition I know It has 4MB of memory installed still I'm quite not sure what so special about it other than gold plated connectors and RCAs instead of TRS.

Also I never had any problems with my ESS Maestro-1 PCI card in DOS mode, as far as I remember YMF 7x4-s work fine as well of course midi quality isn't as good as on AWE32...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The main difference between the 64 gold and 64 value is the gold connectors should have a cleaner output.
most of your PCI cards will still be better though.

I think the fact its the top model of the final Creative ISA card is what makes it so special more then any features it has over the other AWE's
If your happy enough with the value card, I would go ahead and sell it

Reply 7 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 4MB onboard RAM enables loading some very useful soundfonts, there are some very decent <4MB soundfonts that rather accurately mimic SCC-1 and Yamaha XG soundsets, the ESS 3MB and Creative 4MB soundfonts are also fairly decent, so if you want to use your card for General MIDI and don't have a SIMMCON or an external MIDI module I would keep the Gold.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.