VOGONS

First post, by sellerc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I just built a new PC with an existing Sound Blaster Awe64 I was using in a Windows 98 PC. This is the CT 4500 ISA version of the card. I don't recall having any issues with Windows 98 games and DOS games with MS DOS mode from Windows 98. So now I'm trying to make it work in my DOS only rig.

So the issues is this: I have the original installation CD that came with the card when I bought it on eBay. When I install the drivers from the CD and test it in diagnose.exe I am able to play AWE and synthesized music. When I attempt to test digital sound nothing happens (no error messages but no sound). This is confirmed when i attempt to play dos games. Can get AWE 32/64 music but no sound effects.

I have experimented with this quite a bit and have narrowed the issue down to this. If I don't load CTCM (the creative plug n play app), I am able to use the sound card as if it was a SB 16 but cannot access the wavetable or GM part of the card. If I do load CTCM i can use all of the wavetable functions but have no sound.

So my theory is there is no issue with the hardware but somehow CTCM is doing something that activates the AWE but kills the SB sound effects. I'm wondering if there is any way to get the AWE without killing the SB. My SET BLASTER line includes the address info for the wavetable and midi port. But this doesn't seem to matter. DOS games can't find it. And Diagnose.exe doesn't give the option to test AWE synthesized music.

I've read up on everything I can on this site and others but none seem to have the issue that I'm having; in other words the music or sound but not both issue. I have read some people have installed both a SB and a Awe 32 or 64 card and linked the two with a line out cable to get both music and sound effects. This seems like a creative but dumb solution to getting the single card to do what it is supposed to do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by sellerc on 2018-09-04, 16:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to run CTCU once to configure the plug-n-play configuration (port, IRQ, DMA), verify that it's working and it does not complain about any conflicts. Verify that sound and music work in DIAGNOSE. This creates a CTPNP.CFG file.

The on every boot you need to run CTCM (either from CONFIG.SYS or from AUTOEXEC.BAT). CTCM will read the CTPNP.CFG (either from C:\ or if you have a SET CTCM= environment variable pointing to a directory, then from that directory), initialize the card and (I think) update the BLASTER environment variable (you can also do SET BLASTER manually to the same values that you know the card uses, to be sure). Then you need to run AWEUTIL /S from AUTOEXEC.BAT to initialize the music portion.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 5, by sellerc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem seems to be that when I run CTCU, I can't get the sound and music to both work in Diagnose. Only the music works. I'm not sure why CTCU is choosing settings that don't allow the sound to work. When I run without CTCM the sound works fine but no Awe music. The trick would be to figure out what needs to be configured different with CTCU. Just not sure how.

Reply 3 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can get to a state where you have working sound but not music, try simply running AWEUTIL /S in that state. Do you get music now?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys