VOGONS

First post, by JosteinTopland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm trying to get the awesome sound from the DreamBlaster S2 on my Sound Blaster 16 ct2260 Vibra. I've connected it to the wave table header and made sure that the MIDI volume is up, but I'm not hearing any sound from any DOS game using General MIDI. Nor do I hear any sound from Win311 when choosing external midi when playing the infamous canyon.mid, but sound from FM/OPL3 is all fine.

I've installed the Vibra16 drivers in DOS and also for Win311. MPU-401 port is set to 330, and I'm getting confirmed messages from the diagnose.exe included with the drivers.

Can someone please point me out in any other direction to test and verify that the S2 is working or not?

Regards,
Jostein

Reply 3 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you positive that you did not connect it the wrong way around, or that you did not connect it shifted to the right/left or up/down by one row?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, please let us know in what computer do you have it installed in. 😀
586+ tend to have ACPI, which does use IR2/9, just like the MPU-401 does.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 12, by JosteinTopland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a Gateway 2000 486 DX/2 66 MHz.

What I see from MIXERSET.EXE is:
Volume / Balance = Voice, MIDI, CD, Line, Mic, PC Spk, Master
Input = MIDI, CD, Line, Mic
Output = CD, Line, Mic
Other = AGC, Save

FM / OPL does respond to MIDI, but still no sound from the wave table. MIDI is checked from the Input left and right. Also do not hear any Dreamblaster sound if I crank volume up to 11.

Reply 6 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suspect SB16 external wavetable goes through the the 'CD' mixer pathway, not the 'MIDI' one. Verify that the 'CD' volume slider setting is at 75 to 100%. Or just set everything to that level.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In your Autoexec.bat file, insert the following statement: SET MIDI=SYNTH:1
If you still don't hear anything, change it to a 2.

The above environment variable is normally used with AWE based cards, but couldn't hurt to try on a SB16.

Reply 9 of 12, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Question: would this also be the case for an ESS AudioDrive ES1688F card? My SB16 card's wavetable works without issues and I can get the sound in both Windows 95C and MS-DOS 6.22. Heck, FM works on the AudioDrive card and I cannot seem to find the drivers for the ES1688F card.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ES1688F cards just need to be initialized. Use any of the driver packs on Vogonsdrivers. * I'm not certain if you require a particular version to specify resources at command line such as with the 1868/1869 cards, though.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 12, by JosteinTopland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

In your Autoexec.bat file, insert the following statement: SET MIDI=SYNTH:1
If you still don't hear anything, change it to a 2.

The above environment variable is normally used with AWE based cards, but couldn't hurt to try on a SB16.

Yes. Tried that as well. No audio comming from the attached DreamBlaster. Would like to test the DreamBlaster on another wavetable header...

Reply 12 of 12, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the CD Audio set to in the sound card mixer program? In most cases, the CD audio traces goes directly to the wavetable header, like my ESS AudioDrive ES1688F card. Don't connect any cable from the CD header to the wavetable header.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser