VOGONS

First post, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys - I have a retro PC that I just set back up after a move. I happen to boot it up without the mouse attached as the cord wasn't long enough for the new placement. Everything was good...my AWE 64 was assigned the correct addresses, midi out to my external devices was fine, everything.

Then, I plugged the mouse in and rebooted to do some more testing. Now, my AWE64 went a mess. It tried to assign weird IRQs and the MPU wouldn't work at all. SB diagnosis reported errors and I could not manually assign everything back to normal. I unplugged the mouse, rebooted and all was fine again.

I'm at a loss...no idea why any mouse system resources would throw the AWE64 for a loop like that. Would appreciate any and all help!

I'm running the following (not sure more is relevant, but if so, please ask):

AMD K6-IIII 450
AWE64 Gold ISA
CuteMouse Driver with a Microsoft, standard PS/2 mouse
DOS 6.22

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't plug/unplug PS/2 hardware while the system is on. Although not sure it has anything to do with the symptoms you're describing.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 5, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks - it was not plugged in while the system was on. The original post read that way, but I wouldn't do that.

EDIT - I should note as well that removing the mouse and firing the system up again fixes everything, so definitely seems like a resource issue with the mouse.

Reply 4 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I'd say - check the IRQ assignments in the BIOS, check the resource assignments for your AWE64... What is the value for BLASTER variable?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 5, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Set Blaster variables were just changing with each boot.

I did get it going though, so thanks. I reserved IRQs in the BIOS for certain things to leave the AWE64 ones open. It booted with the mouse and assigned the AWE the correct variables.

Thanks!