VOGONS

First post, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently bought a spare gameport to midi adapter cable that looked to be well built with screwed-on metal connectors .
I was expecting it to have an opto-isolator built in . How naive of me, as it does not . It does not even identify its midi in and out connectors .
I have no recourse as the seller never advertised any such features.

I then decided to order what looked like old-stock gameport to midi cable by Tech Craft, model CMIDI-04 . I am hoping this one will be of good quality . However, since it is made of molded plastic, I cannot disassemble it to see how it is wired.

Is there a simple non-destructive test I can do with just a multi-meter to gauge the quality/safety of this type of cable ?
I am worrying too much about cable quality ?
What are you guys using ?
Should I just build my own cable ?

Reply 2 of 3, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it costs more than 5USD then it is better to build yourself. The search engines are full of these http://pinouts.ru/Home/pc2midicable_pinout.shtml
It is very simple schematic. If you can even minimal way solder then You are able to build yourself. For this there are couple resistors, one opto isolator and 2 transistors.
CNY17- series optoisolator works too and other ones. Perhaps from a old broken impulse power supply optoisolator works too for this!!! So, all details are available in a local shop. Almost everything will work.
The opto isolator is a must be, otherwise it just does not work. Also, the cable grounding pin shall not be connected with synth. It shall be for cable shielding only!

The another version is if to replace 2 transistors with one logic IC chip LS7400, LS7404, LS7405, it is not so critical (can be also 74HC series and other ones which is available at the local shop),
Whatever if it is with logic chips or transistors, both versions tested and work EXACTLY the same way.

All these midi cables which have the shielding connected on both ends are incorrect.

I made all these adapters myself and it is simple as that.
ABout cable almost everything works if it is just a twisted pair or just ordinary stereo audio cable. I am using for cable also CAT5 becouse that one accomodates 4 pairs of this 😀 😉
So, switch on that soldering iron. Shall we? I could make some instructions if needed.

In the past I made those to my friends, and also all these are made for my synthesizers too. but I never bothered about idea to make them for sale since it is so simple to make like everyone could make them on every beautiful Wednesday.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 3 of 3, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If there's a Guitar Center or Sam Ash in your area it might be worth it to call them up to see if they still have one in stock. Might be able to get it at a deep discount just to get the thing out of their inventory.