VOGONS

First post, by newold86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Slowly moving forward to my bigger project, found a need to do more experimenting. Something was done because of the need, something - just for fun, but at the end I made a more sound-oriented version of my universal (almost) 8-bit card:

b-73.jpg

1. Relatively large FPGA, that allows to do almost everything imaginable

2. A lot (for 8-bit system) of DRAM - could be used as EMS, video-RAM etc

3. A lot of flash memory - could be used for something 😀

4. RTC

5. HDMI connector - virtually any videocard can be created in FPGA, and will be quite handy to use HDMI to connect it to modern monitors

6. RCA connector with the circuit from original CGA adapter - still trying to re-create cycle-accurate CGA, but don't have enough time for now...

7. microSD card connector - to use SD card as HDD

8. More-less decent audio CODEC

9. Real OPL3 chip

10. Connector for waveblaster daughter card

11. External MIDI interface - planning to adapt HardMPU

Reply 1 of 14, by Pantheon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh my god! I would love to play with this thing!

I was planning to make something similar but with one of the old MAX 7000 series CPLD devices.
This looks seriously impressive.

Also... how do you assembly those teeny little SMD parts? Do you do it yourself using something like reflow?

Reply 2 of 14, by newold86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pantheon wrote:

I was planning to make something similar but with one of the old MAX 7000 series CPLD devices.

Unfortunately, MAX7000 or similar is very limited - good for things like an address decoder, data latches etc only. With "real" FPGA you can do A LOT of different things that impossible with basic CPLD...

Pantheon wrote:

Also... how do you assembly those teeny little SMD parts? Do you do it yourself using something like reflow?

Actually, not really difficult after you got some experience and have proper tools. Whole thing (from empty PCB to working device) took around 1 hr. Use stencil to apply some solder paste, place parts using manual placer and put the PCB into reflow oven. Repeat for the top side 😀

Because of space limitations, had to use 0402 bypass capacitors for FPGA on the bottom side:

b-74.jpg

Reply 3 of 14, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, so you have a stencil and an oven... we can surely expect a bunch of those cards soon for us to buy? 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 14, by newold86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
root42 wrote:

Ok, so you have a stencil and an oven... we can surely expect a bunch of those cards soon for us to buy? 😀

Sorry - it's just a hobby... And I have not tried to make a finished product - it's more about playing with a technology for test purposes...

If someone really interested to make them, I provide (of course, for free) all design files. But you have to be realistic - it's not cheap (8 layers PCB with relatively small clearances, FPGA chip etc) and not for someone without previous experience with BGA packages...

Reply 5 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is pretty cool !
I don't see a transmitter chip for HDMI, I suppose it relies on bitbanged TMDS ? Max10 IO aren't terribly fast, I wonder what is the max resolution one can reach. Ideally one would output panel native resolution to avoid latency and bad scaling that most monitors seem to have with low res content but 1920x1080 will be unreachable without Gbit transceivers.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 14, by newold86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote:

I don't see a transmitter chip for HDMI, I suppose it relies on bitbanged TMDS ? Max10 IO aren't terribly fast, I wonder what is the max resolution one can reach. Ideally one would output panel native resolution to avoid latency and bad scaling that most monitors seem to have with low res content but 1920x1080 will be unreachable without Gbit transceivers.

Theoretically, it's possible to go up to 80 MHz pixelclock using DDIO in MAX10. Practically I'm struggling right now with HDMI 🙁

Reply 7 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

80MHz is really low, I'm doing several hundred MHz IO on a Max10 and specs suggest 300ish MHz is no problem. True LVDS transmitter pins should be able to reach 700MHz which should be enough for medium resolutions, I'm not sure if you wired any of those to HDMI or not.

Reply 9 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Right, now it makes sense. 8b/10b coming into play too. 800MHz is at the maximum for the chip...
IT6613 would be a choice for the transmitter chip, it is used by Open Source Scan Converter project. Register documentation I haven't been able to find but the source code would be a starting point to get good default values going.

Reply 10 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, this is really cool! 😁

6. RCA connector with the circuit from original CGA adapter - still trying to re-create cycle-accurate CGA, but don't have enough time for now...

Please don't forget to add 640x400 CGA mode of the Olivetti M24 machines, quite some Turbo Pascal programs could use it (there was a bgi file for it). 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 14, by newold86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/yAYZnhvY3fflS/giphy.gif […]
Show full quote

giphy.gif

That is all.

As I have explained already, for a number of reasons I don't make my projects for sale. If someone decides to produce and sell any of my projects, I give away all existing info for free and without any significant conditions.

Reply 14 of 14, by newold86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

You are such a killjoy... 😒

Sorry 😀

If someone has skills and desire to develop IP cores/firmware for my projects, I can consider giving away a working card to that person.