VOGONS

First post, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This card seems to work fine for both sound effects/digital audio and MIDI in Windows 98; it works for sound effects in DOS but there's no MIDI sound in DOS. I tried going through some of the informational .txt files in the CTSND directory for config I might be missing but no luck. Is there something obvious I'm missing, can someone poitn me in the direction of a good setup guide?

(autoexec.bat and config.sys can be posted on request. DOS environment is the one that came as part of the Windows 98 installation; it's not pure DOS.)

Reply 2 of 12, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually have that line in autoexec.bat. I tried running it manually once I get to the DOS prompt (computer is set _not_ to go to Windows GUI automatically on boot) but there's an error message "ERROR12: AWE32 initialization failed".

Reply 3 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is either a resource allocation issue, or the card is a castrated CT4520. Let's hope it's the former; could you post a picture of the card? Does it have the AWE chip and all the memory banks on it?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 12, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have a picture of it handy, but I can confirm that it does have the RAM expansion headers and chips. The Creative software in Windows reports the built-in 512KiB as normal.

Reply 5 of 12, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the software/games you're using actually support AWE cards? AWE cards are not MPU-401 MIDI compatible. They need explicit support from the software you use.

If you are using the MIDI emulator that comes with the AWE DOS driver (use "AWEUTIL /?" to see CLI options), then note that it's not always compatible. Many games will just not work with it.

Does the DOS software of the AWE card come with the DIAGNONE.EXE utility? Run that. At the end you will have the choice to test "AWE Synthesis". Select that. MIDI music should be playing.

Reply 6 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote:

Does the software/games you're using actually support AWE cards? AWE cards are not MPU-401 MIDI compatible. They need explicit support from the software you use.

That's irrelevant. It is evident that he is talking about FM synthesis not working as well. Because of the architecture of the AWE cards, AWE chip must be initialized to support even basic FM, because it goes through the EMU8000. If AWEUTIL /S says "AWE initialization failed", it means there is a problem.

realnc wrote:

Does the DOS software of the AWE card come with the DIAGNONE.EXE utility? Run that. At the end you will have the choice to test "AWE Synthesis". Select that. MIDI music should be playing.

Yes, it should come with DIAGNOSE.

Hopefully some combination of CTCU, CTCM and DIAGNOSE can juggle the resources until some working combination can be found.

Compare which IO, IRQ, DMA are assigned to the AWE in Windows versus DOS. Perhaps there is an IRQ conflict.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps just clarify your system specs and whether you're running your DOS game from a command prompt or did you boot into MS-DOS mode?
If you boot into MS-DOS mode, remember to also run CTCM (it will configure your sound card's settings by reading the CTPNP.cfg file in your Windows folder).

Last edited by jesolo on 2018-11-12, 09:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One other thing - could it be an outdated AWEUTIL that does not support AWE64? (not sure such a problem even exists) What is the version of AWEUTIL?

Reply 10 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

One other thing - could it be an outdated AWEUTIL that does not support AWE64? (not sure such a problem even exists) What is the version of AWEUTIL?

I have come across this problem. Agree that the OP must use a later version of Aweutil. Mine uses version 1.35.

Reply 11 of 12, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reading through your replies, I found there was no line for CTCM. Added this to my autoexec.bat and I think it's all up and running now! DIAGNOSE.EXE now reports a lot more things in its test, including the onboard DRAM, etc., and my test application (Doom 😜) now has music.

Huzzah, and many thanks!

Reply 12 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad to hear that!

Strange that you had any digital sounds without CTCM; I would think the games would not even see the card, but perhaps my memory is deceiving me...