VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw Phil's review of ESS 1868F on youtube and I remembered that I also had one of ESS sound cards somewhere and I went to check it out. Mine was ESS 1688F though.
Anyone knows how does ESS1688F compare to ESS1868? How is the dos compatibility and is there any differences in what FM sounds like? Does ESS1688F have any bugs or other issues? How noisy it is compared to ESS1868F?

Reply 1 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ES1868 is basically a more integrated evolution of ES1688; the IDE controller and PnP functionality have been integrated to the chip, and it also supports spatializing 3D technology that may or may not be on your card. You will find resources on the internet (appearing to have originated from our own gerwin 😀 ) that clain ES1688 is half duplex but it is not, at least not according to its spec sheet (ES688 certainly is half duplex though). They both have the same implementation of ESFM so sound the same. The drivers for ES1688 and ES1868 are not the same though, the mixer etc. for one won't configure the other.

Feel free to compare the product sheets yourself:

ES688: ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/manuals/ess/688.pdf

ES1688: ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/manuals/ess/PB1688B.PDF

ES1868: ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/manuals/ess/pb1868c.pdf

As for which one is more silent - that depends wholly on the card. Quality made ancient ES688/1688 cards are cleaner and much more pleasant to the ear than late 90s OEM junk ES18xx cards in my experience even though the more integrated card should have much less noise..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thanks. Do all cards support adpcm compression? In Phil's ES1868 review, he mentions games that require it.
Not sure how to see if the card is quality made, but here is a picture of my card.

es1688f.jpg
Filename
es1688f.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Not sure if there is a jumper to disable the amplifier.

Reply 4 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lools like yours has no jumper to disable the amplifier but the potentiometer volume dial can manually help you there, just dial it down as low as you can use it comforrably and amplify on your sound setup. Should help with dynamic range and noise. It loola like an OK cars.

Reply 5 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are 3 jumpers on the card that are not explained.
JP1 in top left corner of the card
JP5 at bottom left of the card
JP6 at center of the card.

Any idea what those could be for? I asume none of them has to do with the amplifier?

Reply 6 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:
thanks. Do all cards support adpcm compression? In Phil's ES1868 review, he mentions games that require it. Not sure how to see […]
Show full quote

thanks. Do all cards support adpcm compression? In Phil's ES1868 review, he mentions games that require it.
Not sure how to see if the card is quality made, but here is a picture of my card.

es1688f.jpg

Not sure if there is a jumper to disable the amplifier.

The most notable cards that don't support ADPCM are the Yamaha YMF-7xx ISA and PCI based models. It's not that big a deal as ADPCM is fairly infrequently used, most notably in a few older Apogee side scrolling titles like Duke Nukem 2 and Major Stryker.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 19, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As for which one is more silent - that depends wholly on the card. Quality made ancient ES688/1688 cards are cleaner and much more pleasant to the ear than late 90s OEM junk ES18xx cards in my experience even though the more integrated card should have much less noise..

ES18xx cards are mostly super cheap production, with bare minimum of capacitors and SMD elements. On ES1869 cards they even removed oscillator.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

ES18xx cards are mostly super cheap production, with bare minimum of capacitors and SMD elements. On ES1869 cards they even removed oscillator.

To be fair they were made for use at a time motherboards were much better about voltage and current regulation but yeah they are often pretty barebones. I have this card for example:

Formosa-MPB-000080.jpg

Almost no filtering despite having an FM receiver? Needless to say I never used it. The plain 1868 version is hardly better.

Formosa-MPB-000074.jpg

But go back in time a bit and better 1868 cards do show up..

Genius-0207000-V2-0.jpg

I use this last one in my P133 and it is very very clean.

For whatever reason 1898 seems to have replaced 1869 as a compatible chip and 1898 cards I have (such as the one below with the curious model number MF-1869) are built and sound much better than the crappily built 1869 cards.

Best-Union-MF-1869.jpg

Reply 9 of 19, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would say ESS sound card output is reasonable, especially after turning off/bypassing the internal amplifiers.

Not fantastic like SB live/audigy, AWE64, aureal vortex cards, or the GUS cards (never seen a GUS card though), but not really all that awful.

I have used much worse soundcards than my random cheap ESS1869. (and paid much more for much worse)

Reply 10 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I own a similar card, but from a different manufacturer. The jumper settings are not silk screened onto the PCB. Anyone have any idea where I can find the jumper table?

ESS_1688F_no_jumper_settings.jpg
Filename
ESS_1688F_no_jumper_settings.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well,
It is a Labway card. Not finding any specific info on their archived site though.

Driver archive from the labway site:
http://web.archive.org/web/19981207074406/htt … vers/driver.htm

Pretty sure these are the jumper settings:
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … BSOUND-503.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 19, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those Labways are the nicest Audiodrives I’ve come across, I have a few of them.

ESS AudioDrive (ES1868) - a surprisingly good ISA sound card

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahhh, yes, that looks like the jumper sheet for it. I had no idea what brand it was, which made it hard to hunt down. It says J6 is the "pc speaker in" header. Not having the datasheet, I had assumed J2 was to disable the onboard amplifier, so I had jumpered it. Of course it didn't work, but I hope shorting J2 didn't ruin the card's input.

Interesting that there isn't an IDE enable/disable feature with jumpers. I'm guessing this is only set via software then? I have this BTC branded ES1868 card I couldn't get working, but by default Windows 98SE finds the standard IDE port on the BTC card. Windows did not find an IDE port on the Labway ES1688 card. Is this the expected behaviour?

Badmojo, how do you rate the sound quality on the ES1688 compared to the ES1868? From what I understand, the ES1868 is mostly a more integrated chip, which less external components, so possibly would sound cleaner?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 14 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice card - and very interesting silkscreen - there's place for a YMF262... would that be because the same card was also used for 688 chips without ESFM? Or would it have been / still be possible to actually combine the nice things about the 1688 with a real OPL3? 😮

Reply 15 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah... if the FCC ID starts with LWHA it is a Labway card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

Nice card - and very interesting silkscreen - there's place for a YMF262... would that be because the same card was also used for 688 chips without ESFM? Or would it have been / still be possible to actually combine the nice things about the 1688 with a real OPL3? 😮

Never saw a 1688 with an actual OPL chip..ü

Reply 17 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
dionb wrote:

Never saw a 1688 with an actual OPL chip..ü

Probably an ES688 based card updated with the newer chip. I'm pretty sure the ES1688 can't address an off-board OPL3.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 18 of 19, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep never seen a 1688 with a real OPL3 but ESFM rocks. RE the sound quality b/w 1688 and 1868 - I’m no audiophile but I can’t make out a difference. I can disable the onboard amp with my 1868 card where the Labway 1688 card only has the volume wheel, but with that set appropriately it sounds clean and quiet to me. The Labway also doesn’t make any obnoxious popping sounds on startup and shutdown where the 1868’s I’ve tried do, it that’s probably just an implantation thing, not a chipset thing.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.