VOGONS

First post, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good evening all,

Over the past couple of days I've been trying to fix up my IBM Aptiva 2168 and I think that I have run into every possible problem a PC can throw at you.. maybe I over exagerate but I have never been so baffled... so perhaps someone can help... (I did try and read all the previous posts but 51 pages is too much and thus perhaps this issue has already been solved.. sorry for that.

Right:

The IBM APTIVA is stock bar a S3trio64+ and thus Sound blaster CT3620.
It is a P75 and has 8mb of RAM
Runs MS-DOS 6.22.

The Sound blaster Diagnose (Ver 4.04) settings tell me:
I/O: 280H
Wave-table: 680H
MPU401: 330H
IRQ: 5
DMA (low): 0
DMA (High): 6 ... well it actually says DMA: 0 ,6 but when it runs the test it says low / high....therefore

I can listen to the 8bit & 16bit sounds OK, I can listen to the Syth'ed music & AWE syth'ed music OK....

What I cant get it Music in DOOM... nor Sound FX in Syndicate.... whereas in Duke3D both work ok... any ideas what is going on? 😵

"you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth?"

Reply 1 of 3, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC Doom always assumes I/O 220h for Sound Blaster music. From my experience, I couldn't get music to work in Doom on my old Toshiba laptop unless the sound chipset's SB I/O was set to 220h. Sounds weird, but it might be worth a shot.

These are the changes I would recommend making to your sound card's settings (if possible):
I/O: 220H
DMA low: 1
DMA high: 5

Since most games without specific sound card settings will expect the sound card to be set up like that.

Reply 2 of 3, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers for your prompt post, 😊

Last edited by Mismatch2 on 2018-11-28, 01:07. Edited 1 time in total.

"you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth?"

Reply 3 of 3, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK... right I've solved that one... I had to faff in the CTCU set up... and now its working...