VOGONS

Reply 201 of 495, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Asked my brother to 3D print some brackets until some metal ones are sourced. Thanks for the design Thermalwrong! […]
Show full quote

Asked my brother to 3D print some brackets until some metal ones are sourced. Thanks for the design Thermalwrong!

yqxAd8ml.jpg

What width (thickness) did you use?
I recently had a bracket 3D printed for one of my XT-IDE cards and found that the standard 0.8mm thickness was too flimsy. 1.6mm did the job.

Reply 202 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hasnopants wrote:

I love these things, and have been wanting once since I first saw this project but I cannot solder to save my life...

Is there anywhere that I can buy a pre-made snark barker? Or is anyone up for making one for me on request? I would compensate you of course 😁

Edit: Found one on ebay...I pay for others expertise in soldering 🤣. Oh well can't wait to give it a shot!

I still have one spare assembled. Without the volume wheel, but that can be changed. With printed bracket, if anyone still needs one.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 203 of 495, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my Snark Barker today, its great.

Would really like to have a bracket for it though. Did anyone have a spare or can tell me the method you used to create one?

Thanks!

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY

Reply 204 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So far the printed one is the only option. 😉

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 205 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still have not started assembling mine, I need to catalog the parts I have at hand and compare with the BOM to determine what I need to order. A pretty daunting task really 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 206 of 495, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, thanks root!

Current Systems:

Reply 207 of 495, by ischeriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I recently built a Snark Barker (pictures will follow) which is almost finished: I still need to flash the firmware to the 89S51, which I can hopefully manage in the next few days.

But more importantly, I am trying to find a good solution for the metal bracket!

I contacted a local laser-cutting place and got a quote for 10 pieces that is pretty reasonable.
Of course, it is too expensive if I only need the one unit for myself, so I wanted to ask if anyone here is interested in joining in.

SnarkBarker-Bracket_v005.png
Filename
SnarkBarker-Bracket_v005.png
File size
73.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

At the moment I think 1 bracket would end up costing ~15€ (shipped from Germany) for a stainless steel bracket — That's not cheap, but to me it would be acceptable.

What do you think? Is anyone interested?

I can ask for an updated quote if more than 10 people are interested, but let's not get ahead of myself here 😉.

Reply 208 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

15 EUR is expensive, and along the lines from what I got as a response when I asked around. I am not sure if I want to spend this much. I have 3D printed brackets, and they work reasonably well now. Does the company give any kind of rebates when buying more pieces? But I would figure that laser cutting is always pretty expensive.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 209 of 495, by ischeriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess the price will come down with more pieces, but it's hard for me to judge how many people would be actually interested in this, so this was the number I based my inquiry on to just get a starting number/order of magnitude here.

If we look at this from a different perspective, what would be a good price for these brackets that you are willing to pay?
Then I can ask them how many pieces I need to order to meet this price. (But I wouldn't expect the price to get anywhere near the Mouser/Keystone prices of 2-3€)

Reply 210 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a good STL for a 3D Printout for this bracket? Drilling the holes for an AdLib were easy enough but I don't really feel like doing it for this card..

Reply 211 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Is there a good STL for a 3D Printout for this bracket? Drilling the holes for an AdLib were easy enough but I don't really feel like doing it for this card..

This one by Thermalwrong: Tube Time: Announcing The Snark Barker, a 100% Compatible SB 1.0 Replica!

1982 to 2001

Reply 212 of 495, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would be interested in going in on a metal bracket.

Current Systems:

Reply 214 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not entirely sure if this is the place to ask this, but I guess it's better than any other I can find..

When building my Tube Time AdLib Clone, I went with a random 10K Pot I could get my hands on, as you can see it's not only too short but also linear..

Tube-Time-Ad-Lib-Bracket.jpg

I am looking for the correct Bourns Pot to replace it with, however I can only find the following two locally:

91A1A-B28-D15L (7/8" shaft as opposed to 3/4" shaft)
91R1A-R22-B15L (Correct dimensions only metric, but linear)

What would be more problematic, longer shaft or being linear?

Reply 215 of 495, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Being linear just gives you a volume adjustment curve that's loud loud loud medium silent, which is what all the cheap things have anyway. Putting a resistor across output of the pot will create pseudo logaritmic response. Getting right mechanical size is the much more important, it is the way harder thing to correct.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 216 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see.. The only difference is 1/8" (3mm) in shaft length.. Such a poor tradeoff 😢

Reply 217 of 495, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote:

here's the backplate if anyone would like to print it out. Print it at 0.15 or 0.2 layer height, with supports in the orientation it should load as. That should print out on its side and the supports break away very easily.

Thanks a lot, Thermalwrong, it fits perfectly! If I may ask, though, would it be possible to fill the little nudge / cut-out next to screw fastening hole? I know why it's there, but it's not necessary in many cases and would add a lot of extra stability to that area - one of my brackets broke exactly there on fitting it in the case. a

Reply 218 of 495, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you mean at the top of the card bracket? If not, could you give me a picture? It should be easy to remove I think. I think I know what you mean about that being a weak spot.

Reply 219 of 495, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote:

Do you mean at the top of the card bracket? If not, could you give me a picture? It should be easy to remove I think. I think I know what you mean about that being a weak spot.

Exactly there! It didn't turn out a great picture, but I think it's still good enough to see the marked spot I mean:

20190920_204448.jpg
Filename
20190920_204448.jpg
File size
119.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I even did start trying to reverse the STL - but it turned out to be quite a mess to fix it that way 😁