VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I feel like I've had this issue before and posted about it but here we go anyway.

I'm building a Pentium III all-in-one DOS/Windows PC. One partition has Windows 98, the other has MS-DOS 7.1 with Windows 3.1 set up - pretty typical dual boot.

The system has a Sound Blaster AWE64 Value card in it. It was the only non-PCI Sound Blaster I had handy, and I thought it'd be good for compatibility across the different OS's. So far: I cannot get FM sound working in pure DOS. I know you're supposed to run AWEUTIL to initialize the EMU8000 chip to let FM sound through without muting it.

Running AWEUTIL results in the error message: "cannot initialize AWE32" or something. Running AWEUTIL /S results in the same thing. Loading CTCM in CONFIG.SYS beforehand yields the same result. CTCM loads up fine at bootup but AWEUTIL still cannot initialize the card. I've tried various things like unloading SHARE.EXE, with no luck.

Everything works fine in Windows 98, just as it should. DOS games run fine with either OPL3 sound or, having selected General MIDI, the AWE64 wavetable. (by the way, getting MIDI sound in DOS would be nice too but I'm well aware of the fact that AWEUTIL MIDI emulation in DOS sucks, so I'm just focusing on getting FM for now)

Should I install the official drivers in Windows 3.1 and let the installer do its job?

Here's what I want to end up with: the least amount of memory usage possible to just initialize the card and make it work as a standard SB16 in pure DOS mode. Windows 3.1 can do whatever it wants but that pure DOS memory usage is crucial.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 33, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Normally, I would say just run CTCU but, since you are running DOS 7.1, CTCM "thinks" you're running Windows 95b or higher and is therefore "looking" for a file called "ctpnp.cfg" in your Windows folder.

I recall that there are ways around it (so that you can run CTCU) under DOS 7.1 but, I would suggest the following:

1) Create just a Wimdows 98 partition with a start up menu configuration that will also enable you to boot straight into DOS 7.1 (refer How to create a boot (start up) menu under Windows 9x/ME) OR,
2) Install DOS 6.22 on your Windows 3.1x partition.

Personally, I would go for option 1, since practically all Windows 3.1x software will run fine under Windows 98.

Reply 2 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks jesolo - yes, it was looking for ctpnp.cfg - but it turns out that wasn’t the problem! Loading CTCM in CONFIG.SYS was a bad idea, it turns out - it only needed to be loaded outright in AUTOEXEC.BAT and then AWEUTIL began working properly.

Problem solved!

Reply 3 of 33, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a problem that I solved by taking CTCM out of config.sys and calling it in autoexec.bat as well. I'm curious if you have other PnP hardware that needs to be initialized as well. In my case, I found that order was key, which is why it had be put in autoexec.bat.

SoundBlaster 32 CT3670 + Ensoniq SoundScape Opus

[Compaq Presario 633 | DOS 6.22 / Win 3.1 | DX4 100 Overdrive | 28M RAM | SB16 CT2770A | SPEA Media FX (Soundscape S2000) ]
[GA-6BXC R2.0 | Win98SE | Via C3 Ezra 866 | 384M RAM | TNT2 32M | Voodoo2 8M | SB32 CT3670 | Ensoniq Soundscape Opus]

Reply 4 of 33, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for this thread; now I have ammunition to use in future discussions about why CTCM should not be loaded in CONFIG.SYS (something that gets recommended frequently around these parts). 🤣

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should note that, although CTCM didn’t need to be loaded in CONFIG.SYS in order to work properly, the INSTALL utility from the driver disk put it in both CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. I may or may not leave it that way. I’m not sure how it would affect performance in Windows 3.1... but it certainly doesn’t affect performance in DOS to only load CTCM in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

I don’t think anything else in the PC is PnP, only the AWE64.

Reply 6 of 33, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CTCM is not loaded in Autoexec.bat; it just runs, initializes the PnP stuff and exits.

That's the trouble with all these 'Install' utilities; they mess up your startup files because they try to solve for all possible contingencies. It's DOS, man! The entire system configuration is just a few short lines of text. It can and should always be done manually. That's how real power users do it! 😁

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 33, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

That's the trouble with all these 'Install' utilities; they mess up your startup files because they try to solve for all possible contingencies. It's DOS, man! The entire system configuration is just a few short lines of text. It can and should always be done manually. That's how real power users do it! 😁

Well, Creative at least makes a half-hearted attempt to look at what you already have and make appropriate updates. It won't work if you have a boot menu or multiple sound cards, but if you have a relatively simple config it will. I've seen a lot of install utilities from various clone cards that will just throw their lines at the top or bottom of autoexec.bat and config.sys and call it a day.

[Compaq Presario 633 | DOS 6.22 / Win 3.1 | DX4 100 Overdrive | 28M RAM | SB16 CT2770A | SPEA Media FX (Soundscape S2000) ]
[GA-6BXC R2.0 | Win98SE | Via C3 Ezra 866 | 384M RAM | TNT2 32M | Voodoo2 8M | SB32 CT3670 | Ensoniq Soundscape Opus]

Reply 8 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

CTCM is not loaded in Autoexec.bat; it just runs, initializes the PnP stuff and exits.

Yes, I should have clarified that.

Tenorman wrote:

It won't work if you have a boot menu or multiple sound cards, but if you have a relatively simple config it will.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that - I have a boot menu, so I had to swoop in after the fact and put all the changes where they should be, in this case the [COMMON] section.

Reply 9 of 33, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tenorman wrote:

I've seen a lot of install utilities from various clone cards that will just throw their lines at the top or bottom of autoexec.bat and config.sys and call it a day.

Yeah, tell me about it. The Yamaha Audician 32 is the worst I've seen in this regard, because not just the installer, but the main configuration utility - SETUPSA - messes up your Autoexec every time you run it. I have no idea what these people were thinking; I had to hex-edit SETUPSA and change all Autoexec.bat references to some dummy file to stop this nonsense.

Reply 10 of 33, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, gonna ask for help here instead of opening a new topic:

Having trouble with my AWE64 Value card (CT4520). Can't get the music to work but sound effects work fine.

After adding CTCM to AUTOEXEC.BAT, I can finally get AWEUTIL to initialize but not with the /EM:GM parameter.

What am I missing here? I'm currently testing this under DOS 6.22

Solving other issues with the PC here: Re: Time-machine PC troubles in DOS-land

CONFIG.SYS
==========
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM ON 2048
BUFFERS=15,0
FILES=40
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=Z
FCBS=4,0
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,18976 =C:\DRIVERS\TRICD.SYS
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,32592 =C:\DRIVERS\AWE64\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,10160 =C:\DRIVERS\AWE64\CTMMSYS.SYS
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH
STACKS=9,256

AUTOEXEC.BAT
============
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE /S
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
LH /L:1,40352 C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /V /M:12
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;c:\MTCP;
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
SET MTCPCFG=C:\MTCP\MTCP.CFG

SET PATH=C:\E3000II;%PATH%
@CALL C:\E3000II\STARTNET.BAT

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 11 of 33, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to initialize the music portion of the AWE64 by running AWEUTIL /S from Autoexec or from the command line.

You don't need CTSB16.SYS or CTMMSYS.SYS or anything like that.

Reply 12 of 33, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

You need to initialize the music portion of the AWE64 by running AWEUTIL /S from Autoexec or from the command line.

You don't need CTSB16.SYS or CTMMSYS.SYS or anything like that.

"After adding CTCM to AUTOEXEC.BAT, I can finally get AWEUTIL to initialize but not with the /EM:GM parameter."

So, that didn't really work...

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 13 of 33, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, but I don't understand you. Please be clearer about what you did, what you are trying to do and what the current problem is.

Edit:

OK, I get it now after reading your other thread. It's kinda annoying that you're cross-posting and I have to go to your other thread to see the full picture.

In any case:

CTCM is required to use any Creative SB PnP card, as you discovered.

AWEUTIL /S is required on AWE cards to initialize the FM/MIDI synthesizer portions. You won't get any music without it.

Once you get both working (which is what you have now), you can get FM music in games by selecting Adlib / Sound Blaster options, and you can get MIDI music by selecting the "AWE32" option in games (only in games that support it).

You still won't get General MIDI to work. You need /EM:GM for that, but this option works rather poorly in DOS, and I would just advise to steer clear of it and forget about it altogether. If you want good and reliable General MIDI in DOS games on AWE32/64 cards, run the games from within Windows.

Reply 14 of 33, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Sorry, but I don't understand you. Please be clearer about what you did, what you are trying to do and what the current problem is.

Edit:

OK, I get it now after reading your other thread. It's kinda annoying that you're cross-posting and I have to go to your other thread to see the full picture.

Yeah, sorry about that. I just figured it would be better, if I put the "sound problems" in a separate thread.

dr_st wrote:
In any case: […]
Show full quote

In any case:

CTCM is required to use any Creative SB PnP card, as you discovered.

AWEUTIL /S is required on AWE cards to initialize the FM/MIDI synthesizer portions. You won't get any music without it.

Once you get both working (which is what you have now), you can get FM music in games by selecting Adlib / Sound Blaster options, and you can get MIDI music by selecting the "AWE32" option in games (only in games that support it).

You still won't get General MIDI to work. You need /EM:GM for that, but this option works rather poorly in DOS, and I would just advise to steer clear of it and forget about it altogether. If you want good and reliable General MIDI in DOS games on AWE32/64 cards, run the games from within Windows.

Well, in this particular case X-Wing sound configuration utility detects the card as AWE32 but no matter what I do, I get sound effects but no music. I'll try removing ALL the sound stuff and reinstall. I did use AWEUTIL /s but it hasn't changed anything.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 16 of 33, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:
Tenorman wrote:

I've seen a lot of install utilities from various clone cards that will just throw their lines at the top or bottom of autoexec.bat and config.sys and call it a day.

Yeah, tell me about it. The Yamaha Audician 32 is the worst I've seen in this regard, because not just the installer, but the main configuration utility - SETUPSA - messes up your Autoexec every time you run it. I have no idea what these people were thinking; I had to hex-edit SETUPSA and change all Autoexec.bat references to some dummy file to stop this nonsense.

I usually set both CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT as read-only to avoid things like this. Windows 98 sometimes likes to mess around with my custom startup files so setting them read-only also works for that.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 17 of 33, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see there may be some confusion here. Please handle this thread separately from the other one.

This is about running DOS 6.22 off a CF card in conjunction with a Sound Blaster AWE64 Value CT4520.

I just downloaded ctcm.zip and sbbasic.zip from https://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-awe64-gold.html

Installed both, music still doesn't work! I don't know why people keep recommending AWE cards when they are such a pain in the ass to get to work?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 18 of 33, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ctcu is the key. I never had troubles. go into bios into pnp, set chosen irq+dma to legacy. run ctcu and set profile, it creats ctpnp.cfg, load ctcm from config.sys, it configures 4 of 4 devices etc. done.

if I ran ctcm from autoexec.bat it would only ever configure 3 of 4 devices. in config.sys, it does 4 of 4 for me.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 19 of 33, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Installed both, music still doesn't work! I don't know why people keep recommending AWE cards when they are such a pain in the ass to get to work?

They are not; either yours is somehow defective or you have some settings wrong.

BloodyCactus wrote:

ctcu is the key. I never had troubles. go into bios into pnp, set chosen irq+dma to legacy. run ctcu and set profile, it creats ctpnp.cfg, load ctcm from config.sys, it configures 4 of 4 devices etc. done.

if I ran ctcm from autoexec.bat it would only ever configure 3 of 4 devices. in config.sys, it does 4 of 4 for me.

See here - in this very thread the OP explains that running CTCM from Autoexec actually solved some issues that he was having when he tried to load it in Config.sys. I guess there is not a one-size-fits-all solution...

Half-Saint wrote:

Well, in this particular case X-Wing sound configuration utility detects the card as AWE32 but no matter what I do, I get sound effects but no music. I'll try removing ALL the sound stuff and reinstall. I did use AWEUTIL /s but it hasn't changed anything.

It would help to understand if the problem is specific to X-Wing or to all games. I suggest trying one of the other games that has native support of AWE or basically any game in FM/Adlib mode to narrow down the issue.