VOGONS

First post, by The_ED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello dear Vogon members, nice to meet You all! 😀

Long story short - after watching few YouTube videos and having a ton of nostalgia moments, I decided to build myself "Retro PC" and went with a Socket 478 machine for late 90's to early/mid 00's games.

At this moment I have collected most of the hardware for my build that I would want to see in it, but there is one thing that bothers me the most and it's DOS audio experience.
Since I'm kinda audiophile, who would like to get the best listening experience with the config that I plan on using - I would want to try this combo: Audigy 2 ZS (PCI) + Game port/Midi bracket + CHill & Phill adapter + DreamBlaster S2, so the question is - Would it work? Maybe there's someone in this forums, that have tried the same or similar configuration under the real DOS conditions.

ATM i have shady CT4810 PCI sound card, that does work in DOS with clunky SB16 emulation and kinda good GM quality, but after hearing some DreamBlaster MIDI samples I'm all over it.

Why Audigy 2 ZS in 1st place? Because of EAX support. Machine will be mostly used for XP, but I would love to be it as "All-in-One" as possible, without game to game hardware swapping and it does work kinda good at this point as it is, but there is always something that makes us go a little bit further in to the hardcore path. 😁

P.S. Greetings from Latvia + this is my 1st post in here, so yeah - much <3 folks.
Might even show off my "Dream" old school PC at some point, that I would've loved to own back in the day. 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Machine will be mostly used for XP

Use software solutions or USB.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 5, by The_ED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Machine will be mostly used for XP

Use software solutions or USB.

Hello and thanks for the replay, but can You be a little bit more specific? If You mean DOS emulation by that from XP, then it's no fun and looses meaning from having this hardware setup.
I'm dedicated to go as hardware as possible for this to accomplish.

Btw motherboard that I have is Intel D865GLC, with 865 chipset and ICH5.

Reply 3 of 5, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ditch the Audigy2 and get a SB Live or Audigy1. The 2 dropped DOS support. And ditch XP for 98 if you want DOS games.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 4 of 5, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The_ED wrote:

I would want to try this combo: Audigy 2 ZS (PCI) + Game port/Midi bracket + CHill & Phill adapter + DreamBlaster S2, so the question is - Would it work? Maybe there's someone in this forums, that have tried the same or similar configuration under the real DOS conditions.

ATM i have shady CT4810 PCI sound card, that does work in DOS with clunky SB16 emulation and kinda good GM quality, but after hearing some DreamBlaster MIDI samples I'm all over it.

The Audigy 2 ZS and the CT4810 can only use their own MIDI synth under DOS, they doesn't work with external MIDI devices.

doaks80 wrote:

Ditch the Audigy2 and get a SB Live or Audigy1. The 2 dropped DOS support. And ditch XP for 98 if you want DOS games.

The Audigy 2 ZS works fine under DOS with the Audigy DOS driver and an utility that maps the audio correctly.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 5, by The_ED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

The Audigy 2 ZS works fine under DOS with the Audigy DOS driver and an utility that maps the audio correctly.

Thanks dude, that's more optimistic replay, that I like to see. 😀 I did some searching about 2 ZS and DOS thing before starting post and when I found modded Audigy12 drivers I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. My main concern was more about 2 ZS and MPU-401. Reading Audigy1 manual, it states something about Gameport/MIDI MPU-401 emulation, thats why I had hope that creative had left some of its support on 2 ZS as well.