VOGONS

First post, by deleted_nk

User metadata

I'm working on my 775 Xeon based build and have a bit of a question when it comes to the soundblaster cards from around 2007-2010. A lot of them don't appear to support having a front-panel audio jack connected to them, rather they seem to force you to use Creative's 5.25 drivebay for it instead.

Are there any Soundblasters from that time period that support a front panel jack and don't cost the moon? I'm reusing an old Asus Xonar DG but that doesn't do EAX so a soundblaster would be nicer 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember buying a cable/adapter to connect Audigy 2 ZS to the front panel connectors. Mine was being advertised as for an Audigy 2 ZS, but there are others, too.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Front-Panel-Audio-Adap … 0670/1776245877

There are some minor issues like not auto muting the external speakers when a headphone is connected to the front panel connectors but it' could be a cheap alternative.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still have my old sound blaster X-FI stored. I didn't put it in my main PC when I built it in 2013, but I always wondered how it would compare to the on board audio of Asus Formula VI that the system has. I also don't know if it has standard front panel connector because the small manual that came with it doesn't say anything about that and just concentrates on the optional I/O drive upgrade.

x-fi.jpg
Filename
x-fi.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 12, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ninkeo wrote:

they seem to force you to use Creative's 5.25 drivebay for it instead.

Yeah, that's exactly the case. THANKS, Obam.... I mean, Creative.

I looked at the pinout once to see about making my own adapter. It's mostly digital I/O, so you have to use an i2s DAC/ADC. You can't just hack up a cable and get analog audio to the front panel. Obnoxious. Every motherboard with cheap onboard audio had the header, but purpose-built sound cards? Noooooo. 😜

Reply 8 of 12, by deleted_nk

User metadata
Baoran wrote:

I still have my old sound blaster X-FI stored. I didn't put it in my main PC when I built it in 2013, but I always wondered how it would compare to the on board audio of Asus Formula VI that the system has. I also don't know if it has standard front panel connector because the small manual that came with it doesn't say anything about that and just concentrates on the optional I/O drive upgrade.

x-fi.jpg

Seems as though the Titaniums are one of the cards that force you to use the I/O drive from my research. Similar story to most of the X-Fi cards except for the lower end ones it appears.

Now, I found the Audigy Rx series of cards. They're PCI-E but they've got a audio header on them too. Are these any good compared to the X-Fi cards? They still seem to be made nowadays which is nice

Reply 9 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some SB Live cards, especially OEM versions, have a white front panel connector for Dell PCs and whatnot but I have, to this day, not been able to figure out what type of connector they use..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 12, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Some SB Live cards, especially OEM versions, have a white front panel connector for Dell PCs and whatnot but I have, to this day, not been able to figure out what type of connector they use..

This might help:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Front-Panel-Audio-Adap … 0670/1776245877

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Fron … .9e4514f5Cb2zKp

Last edited by tayyare on 2019-03-05, 05:29. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 11 of 12, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Lol, I hacked into one to get the sound out for the little speaker in one of my acer computers.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/sb-li … o-jacks.257509/

More details here!

Reply 12 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh wow thanks to both of you, this will sure be helpful. My main purpose is to route Live! through another sound card, and this will work beautifully.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.