VOGONS

First post, by Red_Machine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Toshiba laptop with an ESS688 sound chip running DOS. I'm playing Master of Orion 2, and I notice that it supports both the ESS688 and the Sound Blaster Pro options in the setup program. Which one is best to use? Will I get better sound from using the SB Pro option, or is it best to always use manufaturer-specific options?

Reply 1 of 3, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try both. Can you hear a difference?

In theory ES688 mode should sound better as that card supports higher stereo sampling rates and uses the same external OPL3 chip as an SBPro for FM.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 2 of 3, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had mixed results with the 'AudioDrive' option - Warcraft II for example sounds bloody awful with that option selected, but using SB Pro emulation sounds great.

Generally the AudioDrive option just sounds more filtered if anything, so I stick to SB Pro.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For most games ESS option will sound better but different. Try both. If you want the authentic SB Pro 2.0 sound, then choose that option. If you want a softer, more organic sound try ESS.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.