VOGONS

First post, by Red_Machine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just have the 3.1 drivers installed for Windows, but a few games I've tried won't let me use Sound Blaster emulation because they don't detect the appropriate environment variables like "SET BLASTER". I was wondering if there was a DOS driver I could install that would enable this.

Reply 2 of 14, by Red_Machine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, but even though there's one that says "ES688 Audiodrive Full install for Dos", it's actually for the ESS968 and doesn't work. I also wasn't able to find a compatible driver in the "ESS ISA cards DOS, Win 3.x drivers" download either.

Reply 3 of 14, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think there is a driver for the ESS688. It's non-PnP, just assign the resources to it and it's... there.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 14, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the original install disks for the ESS688. I'll get them posted later today. The card requires a setup program run at boot to change the default IRQ and DMA channels. The defaults on power-on are to use IRQ 7 and DMA 1, the same as early Soundblaster cards.

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4 should be enough to get the card working in DOS without the driver. Make sure your parallel port isn't on IRQ 7!

Reply 5 of 14, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

I don't think there is a driver for the ESS688. It's non-PnP, just assign the resources to it and it's... there.

Some versions don't have jumpers and require initialization (eg: exceedingly rare Compaq-branded cards like mine).
es68821.jpg

I can't remember where I got mine and I'm not home, but maybe try these:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1461&menustate=0

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 6 of 14, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those Edison "Gold" disks should be the same as the Soundplus-16 disks I have for my old 688 based card (Disk 2 had the Voyetra Windows tools). I'd love to see the box for the Edison card, it was likely equally campy in design!

Reply 7 of 14, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4, and if that doesn't work try changing the IRQ to 7 or the DMA to 3 or both.

I.e. just try things until it works. It's not rocket science.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 8 of 14, by Red_Machine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is in a laptop, so there are no jumpers for me to change. I tried adding SET BLASTER to AUTOEXEC.BAT previously, and nothing would come up on boot, probably because it lacked the files necessary to use the SET BLASTER command.

Reply 11 of 14, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Red_Machine wrote:

This is in a laptop, so there are no jumpers for me to change. I tried adding SET BLASTER to AUTOEXEC.BAT previously, and nothing would come up on boot, probably because it lacked the files necessary to use the SET BLASTER command.

This is nonsensical. How are you trying to use SET?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 14 of 14, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Red_Machine wrote:

I'm not sure what model of laptop you are using, but I have a Pentium 75 Toshiba Satellite with the same sound chip. The resource settings are configurable in system's BIOS. Have a look there.

In order to play DOS games, all you really have to do is configure the BLASTER environment variable to match these settings. You can optionally run ESSVOL.EXE to configure your mixer settings in autoexec.bat as well, but this isn't mandatory.

[Compaq Presario 633 | DOS 6.22 / Win 3.1 | DX4 100 Overdrive | 28M RAM | SB16 CT2770A | SPEA Media FX (Soundscape S2000) ]
[GA-6BXC R2.0 | Win98SE | Via C3 Ezra 866 | 384M RAM | TNT2 32M | Voodoo2 8M | SB32 CT3670 | Ensoniq Soundscape Opus]