VOGONS

First post, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the make and model of this sound card. It appears to have a Yamaha YM3812-F chip on it. I tested it with Doom and Duke3D and I was able to get music to come through it using Adlib setting. Unable to get the "sound" to work through those games though. I'd like to know what the jumpers do and how to configure it. I pulled it from a 486dx2 machine I received and there was also a Matsushita cr-523b cd-rom (cd caddy).

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3472.jpg
    File size
    722.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_3471.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3471.jpg
    File size
    1.16 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The FCC ID seems to point to Labway Corp. (defunct) . As for the DIP switches, it looks like trial and error is in order, unless you can get the set blaster value from the hard drive of the machine you got it from .

Reply 3 of 11, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try and copy these DIP settings for a start:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/P057-01-A05-10-PCB-B … S-/123390273624

FCC info: https://fccid.io/JV7057A05

1982 to 2001

Reply 7 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very unusual card! The ESS ES488 is fairly uncommon. I don't think I've ever seen an ISA sound card with stereo rca outputs, 3.5" jacks and no game port.

As jmarsh said, try using it as a standard soundblaster compatible... Not Pro or 16.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 8 of 11, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It actually does have a game port but it’s not built on the board. The game port has its own expansion slot and it plugs into the board. I just didn’t show it. Once I get home this evening I’ll test it again. Will I need to install a driver for it or should it just work with the proper selection?

Reply 10 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NSSI can detect sound cards and their chipsets, perhaps it's useful for displaying the current config (dma, port i/o, irq etc) of this card.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 11, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up trying the card in a different machine and it worked fine. I'm guessing the card was conflicting with something else because it wasn't working with an of the sound blaster options I was choosing. The card worked without issue with original sound blaster. The sound quality is great. Its a shame the company went under. Having the L and R RCA jacks is a nice option.