VOGONS

Reply 441 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I did not wait to correct the .XM Loading and Tone portamento problems to release the Beta 19.
I am soo curious to know if you will like the add of some Adlib file format.

As Claimed by MobyGamers, I removed .MON support for the moment, the file size is smaller with .MON removed and .RAD, .IMF,.RAW and .DRO added 😀

27/05/2020 Beta 19
- Internal variables removal and rename.
- S3M : Corrected a problem in the Adlib instruments loader (OLD S3M Version files)
- Adlib replay code changed to use a Timer IRQ only.
- Correct problems in Adlib volume. (S3M / SAT)
- Added support for the internal file format (.MMM) (No converter Yet, otherwise I will never release this version)
- Added the support for .IMF, .RAW and .DRO Version 2
- Added support for .RAD version 1, RAD Tracker code integrated for perfect support.
- Fix: ESS Audiodrive Model detection and can be used as a SB Pro.
- Started OPL LPT Support (Not active yet)

Filename
MODMXT19.zip
File size
146.73 KiB
Downloads
142 downloads
File license
Public domain
Last edited by FreddyV on 2020-05-28, 18:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 442 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great update! A few bugs and feature requests:

1) in my RAD folder where RAD Tracker 1 is located, I can't see any subfolders, maybe because there are no files for the player itself? Weird...
2) When you leave modm.exe in pattern view mode and start off with an Adlib file, you get the pattern view with garbage.
3) When pausing Adlibt tracks, the notes play on. Can we turn off the volume for the channels and resume them after unpausing?
4) DOS shell doesn't work anymore. Even when loading a small file.

Video:
https://youtu.be/EVRgbB4Ey1k

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 443 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

So fast test 😀
The pattern display problem should be there only with .RAD as I forced the display change in other formats.
I had the problem with no folder displayed, I think it is because they are too many folders.
Dos shell is ok under dosbox, not tested on real hardware since soo many time 😀
I know, pause is not perfect, this is part of what I still need to do, I wanted to release this.

Reply 444 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have a look at the video. There are not many folders... Not sure why it happens. DOS Controller handles it just fine.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 446 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look at this:

https://youtu.be/ADXyvIfm47U

It seems it was simply the directory that it couldn't read. No idea why. Deleted, created newly, and it works. Maybe damaged file system? But why could DC read the directory??

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 447 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I might have found the problem:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-27 um 18.57.41.png
Filename
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-27 um 18.57.41.png
File size
538.49 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Anyway, the problem was gone now, after delete and re-create. I will look out for further problems.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 448 of 929, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you FreddyV for extending Adlib support ! It would be great to see .a2m and .amd support some time...
I've also tested some other files and it seems that all RAD files are ok.
But SAT definitely sounds different than played by Surprise Adlib Tracker 2 itself.

One more thing. Pressing escape while playing attached onward_n.dro doesn't mute sound, and last played sound sounds still, even after program exit.
Moreover if this great song finishes I can hear something like mains hum. Even ALT+CTRL+DEL doesn't stop it. Only power off helps 😀
Do you think it may be related to my sound card ?

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 449 of 929, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
root42 wrote on 2020-05-27, 14:58:
Great update! A few bugs and feature requests: […]
Show full quote

Great update! A few bugs and feature requests:

1) in my RAD folder where RAD Tracker 1 is located, I can't see any subfolders, maybe because there are no files for the player itself? Weird...
2) When you leave modm.exe in pattern view mode and start off with an Adlib file, you get the pattern view with garbage.
3) When pausing Adlibt tracks, the notes play on. Can we turn off the volume for the channels and resume them after unpausing?
4) DOS shell doesn't work anymore. Even when loading a small file.

Video:
https://youtu.be/EVRgbB4Ey1k

Is it possible to share some modules that you use? is why I want to test on a PC XT 8088, CGA, SBPro 2.0, thanks

Reply 450 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyga64 wrote on 2020-05-27, 20:15:
Thank you FreddyV for extending Adlib support ! It would be great to see .a2m and .amd support some time... I've also tested so […]
Show full quote

Thank you FreddyV for extending Adlib support ! It would be great to see .a2m and .amd support some time...
I've also tested some other files and it seems that all RAD files are ok.
But SAT definitely sounds different than played by Surprise Adlib Tracker 2 itself.

One more thing. Pressing escape while playing attached onward_n.dro doesn't mute sound, and last played sound sounds still, even after program exit.
Moreover if this great song finishes I can hear something like mains hum. Even ALT+CTRL+DEL doesn't stop it. Only power off helps 😀
Do you think it may be related to my sound card ?

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.

The onward.DRO is a .a2m I recorded under DOSBOX.
Adlib tracker 2 is really too complexe to be added, it contains a huge number of commands, macros and so on.
That is why I had the idea to add the .RDO support to be able to play everything.

I spend 3 weeks on these adlib formats and need to do something else for the moment.

What is your sound card ?
I tested with dosbox and 5 different sound cards model and I don't have this problem.

Reply 451 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thierry wrote on 2020-05-28, 04:54:

Is it possible to share some modules that you use? is why I want to test on a PC XT 8088, CGA, SBPro 2.0, thanks

Hi,

If you download Reality adlib racker, there is a lot of .RAD files with it.

You can find a lot of files there as well: https://modland.ziphoid.com/

By the way I am also looking for more files, for examples, I don't know if somebody recorded games music in .DRO format.
I found lot of .RAW in another Vogon thread.

Last edited by FreddyV on 2020-05-28, 08:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 452 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote on 2020-05-27, 16:59:

Anyway, the problem was gone now, after delete and re-create. I will look out for further problems.

Cool,
You can say what is nice as well, not only problems 😀

Reply 453 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I had debate with some peoples in facebook group, and even in my association with Amiga Fan telling that putting an SB16 or GUS in an XT is not normal.

For me, all this is to show what an XT can do, the 286/386 were out some years after the XT came.
Then, like for the amiga 1200/Atari STE or atari Falcon, software developpers stopped to develop for them quite fast.
Also, I bought my Amstrad PC1640 in 1989, when the Sound blaster was already there…
So, what is the problem to put a Sound Blaster in an XT ?

My Main PC is an i7 form 2012, and I changed its graphic card in 2018 it makes 6 years of difference, more than putting a GUS in an XT computer from 1988.

I did put an AWE64 in the PC1640 and I recorded some module 😉 For me it is fun, for my colleagues, it is useless...

Reply 454 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amiga fans are funny. They had basically selling the same architecture over 7 years. Sure, AGA came along but those were the last few models before Commodore went bankrupt. The Amiga was great when it arrived. But it never evolved.
So why not put an awesome soundcard in an XT? 😀

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 455 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is one amiga fan in my team. when I said Tandy is a legendary machine in the USA, he laughed.
Just some minutes ago….
Each time I buy an XT, he say another useless machine.
Of course Amiga is better than an XT, but they are part of the history and I like to show what they can do

Reply 456 of 929, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for this! I use this player regularly on my XT machines and some old Amstrad PCs (my 2086...) , and it's a must have!
Nice job!
I also use it with "modern" sound cards on XTs/ATs, and i don't see a problem with that... on the contrary... they are usually cheaper.

Reply 457 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I found I used an older version of the DRO player in this release that do not clear OPL3 registers at the end.
So I did this small update, correcting the RAD partition display as well.

I keep the same version as it was supposed to be this way before.

Last edited by FreddyV on 2020-05-29, 10:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 458 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2020-05-28, 18:13:

I keep the same version as it was supposed to be this way before.

Oh I have to remember this trick for our customer :^) Well usually we would increase the build number...

YouTube and Bonus