VOGONS

Reply 481 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote on 2020-07-10, 20:24:

Nice. I just tested ModMaster on the 286 with GUS PnP. Works great!

Nice. This is even more impressive on a 8086.
GUS pnp has an interwave.
I still need to support it to have 44khz with > 14 channels.
We only need to do one port out to activate the interwave mode.

Reply 482 of 929, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2020-07-11, 18:12:

On satellite one do you mean the loop at the end ?
Press l during the replay or activate the loop in the option.

Exactly, thanks!

By any chance, were you able to listen to Necros' Introspection at pattern 11 oder 12? Both on a GUS and SB it sounds off there (and very different to e.g. Cubic Player) on at least one instrument.

And there is one more thing that led me on a wild goose chase today: Modm quite brutally disables the line-in of the GUS on detection... 😀) I was trying to route an SB through the line-in and play on both devices subsequently... Since the GUS was a newly built one, I kept thinking it's an error with the hardware, because even though enabling it explicitly right before, the line-in never worked... guess I shouldn't have been so fixed on modm in testing 😁

Reply 483 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi.

I had some other bug report i did not check as well.
Perfectly replay every file format with one code is difficult. I correct problems if it does not generate more problems somewhere else.

I and in my to do list.

I know mod master diable the line in. This is something to correct.

I

Reply 484 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I checked rapidly and there are Tone Portamento commands with no Note in the same row.

This is normally something not possible....
I suppose it is the problem and it can be fixed (One Case not supported)

Reply 485 of 929, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2020-07-12, 15:08:

I checked rapidly and there are Tone Portamento commands with no Note in the same row.

Great you found it! And thanks for constantly improving it - it's become my go-to player on all the old machines! 😀

Reply 486 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MJay99 wrote on 2020-07-12, 17:13:

Great you found it! And thanks for constantly improving it - it's become my go-to player on all the old machines! 😀

Nice 😀 You use it in what kind of machine ? Did you try the OPL3/DRO music ?

This is funny because you are german, Most of my "Followers" Here are german.
I wish I could go to the revision 2020.... But cancelled.

Reply 487 of 929, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2020-07-12, 18:45:

Nice 😀 You use it in what kind of machine ? Did you try the OPL3/DRO music ?

This is funny because you are german, Most of my "Followers" Here are german.
I wish I could go to the revision 2020.... But cancelled.

Oh, it's now been running off and on, on almost everything from an 8088 (Commodore PC10), via 8086 (Amstrad PC1512) over almost all major iterations in between, up to a P4 in mostly SB and GUS combinations (I've always had a focus on the GUS since it came out and ideally every machine is gonna have one 😁). So this is my most crucial feature in the player 😁

I did try the rad files on devices like the Snark Barker and original SB (e.g. alloyrun), because it simply sounds great, but have yet to check which system has the SB pro 2 inside, so I can try the OPL3 playback.

It really is a shame about all the canceled events lately - I was planning on finally attenting one of our local retro-meetings with my modified PC1512 (CGA to VGA via a modified version of MCE2VGA and also an integrated powersupply), but that's canned and postponed to at least fall (or probably next year), too.

Reply 488 of 929, by genesis8bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MJay99 wrote on 2020-07-12, 21:54:

It really is a shame about all the canceled events lately - I was planning on finally attenting one of our local retro-meetings with my modified PC1512 (CGA to VGA via a modified version of MCE2VGA and also an integrated powersupply), but that's canned and postponed to at least fall (or probably next year), too.

I cant yet send private message, so could you tell more about this modified 1512, I would like to write about it on my Amstrad web site.

Do you have maybe a web site where you show this PC1512 or a video ?

Reply 489 of 929, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
genesis8bit wrote on 2020-07-14, 13:25:

Do you have maybe a web site where you show this PC1512 or a video ?

Sadly not, I've never considered any of my endeavors as very note-worthy, so far - but I did post a few images about the MCE2VGA modification here (just because there was a discussion if it's possible):
Amstrad 1512 - CGA(ish?) to VGA
It's actually still a work-in-progress, as I am currently designing a carrier plate for all those extra devices inside the PC1512's case (still needing some test printing and positioning of mounting options, which got deferred due to Covid also).
When that's finished (might take a bit though, as our lab is still closed), I could take you some final assembled pictures that are worth showing or maybe open a separate thread for it. A new top cover, replacing the foot of the monitor is ready to be printed also.

Reply 490 of 929, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2020-07-12, 18:45:

Did you try the OPL3/DRO music ?

I did now 😀 It does indeed detect an OPL3 on the Soundblaster Pro 2 and seems to play the DROs very nicely (as far as I can tell, but I am sadly not too much of an OPL expert).
The only tiny thing I am seeing is a reported OPL2 on the player page, instead of an OPL3.

photo_2020-07-17_23-45-51.jpg
photo_2020-07-17_23-45-44.jpg

Attachments

Reply 493 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to play PANIC.S3M on the GUSar today. It sounds a bit off at times, but I noticed that behavior back in the day already with some players. I think Panic is one of the more tricky S3Ms...

https://youtu.be/gXNvahuZazs

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 494 of 929, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you mean the phase/chorus effects, it’s because some samples are played at two channels at once to increase the total volume in the mix. That is fine with software mixing on a Sound Blaster (which is what the music was written for) but on a GUS the play commands for the two channels vary slightly because they have to be sent sequential and that creates the phase/chorus effects on the snare drums.

Reply 497 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a recording with ST3 now:

https://youtu.be/Q1JJZ5nr7LE

So the problem seems to be in ModMaster. Mobygamer tells me to tell you. 😉

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 498 of 929, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, Purple Motion seems to have counted on the cut off when the max pitch is reached for this weird effect. He actually uses different notes each time to have a different glitch sound with a different length also. Very crafty 😉 Cubic Player seems to do the portamento effects fine, but butchers the doubled samples in the same way. Maybe Scream Tracker didn't bother then with volume ramps as it's GUS routine sounds much closer to the Sound Blaster version. I remember some playback routines to be much clickier on a GUS than others.

Reply 499 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi.
I did remove the max period limitation because we need to do a multiplication each time if there is a fine tune. This is done differently with different players and trackers.
We have bugs when the musicians play with the limits and do things not supposed to be done. Like the 2 other bugs highlighted previously : tone portamento with no end note....
In these cases each tracher has a different behaviour.
Lot of differences can be found in how to use default volume.
For example. Set a sample without note. Then play another sample with a note delay. The sample will be started with the previous sample volume. Then retrig with its volume.
This is a way to simulate multi retrig using a .mod
FT2 fail to simulate this.