VOGONS

First post, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, the spare room is finally cleared up to the point where someone can sleep there again. That means I get time to actually do stuff with my retro computers rather than just having to sell surplus & tidy up what's left.

One thing I've been wanting to do for a long time is a multi-sound card build to cover as many standards as possible with one system. My actual build log will go in System Specs of course, but before I get started I'd like to double-check the feasibility of my idea.

What I want to cover:

Covox/DSS
AdLib/SB(Pro) OPL3
AdLib/SB(Pro) CQM
SB16
PAS16
GUS
Intelligent MPU-401

So, cards I intend to use:

Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro (Aztech 1st gen chipset, SBPro2.0 compatible, real OPL3 and Covox, DSS & WSS)
Creative CT2950 SoundBlaster 16 (3rd gen SB16, CQM, PnP with CTCU/CTCM/diagnose)
Gravis Ultrasound Classic (GUS)
Mediavision PAS16 (PAS16, OPL3, SB2.0 compatible)
Music Quest PC Midi Card (MPU401)

All this will go into a Full Yes 82430I ver B motherboard (i430FX) chosen for its 5 ISA slots with Pentium 100, 64MB EDO and a Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 (Virge/VX). If I get all the sound cards working I might try to add networking too with a PCI NIC, but that's very low on priority list. OS is MS-DOS 6.22 (on a 512MB DOM, which I will upgrade to 2GB once I get it). There's a CF adapter on the second IDE controller I'd like to keep, which means IRQ15 is spoken for.

As for resources, this is what I intend:

NXPro: A220 I7 D1
SB16: A240 I5 D3 H7
GUS: A260 I11 D6 (rec&playback)
PAS16: A? I3 D5
MQ: A330 I(2/9)

The idea is that the oldest legacy will default to SB 220/7/1 (which is what will go in the SET BLASTER variable too) and MIDI 330/(2/9). More modern stuff will let me choose.

Now, I'm pretty confident I can get the first three to play ball. It's the last two I'm worried about. Three questions:

- I don't really understand PAS16's addressing, despite reading this several times. Completely disabling both Thunderboard (Soundblaster) and MIDI seems clear enough - and what I want to do here - but what about the PAS16's native AdLib. How do I ensure that doesn't conflict with the NXPro/SB16? I don't even know what they do for this (listen at 388?).

- MIDI is a problem. GUS doesn't do MPU-401 if you don't load MegaEm (yuck!) and I can explicitly disable it on the PAS16, but both the NXPro and SB16 seem to insist on emulating an MPU-401 (in UART mode, badly). I know I can get DIAGNOSE.EXE to skip MPU by invoking it with /DMPU flag - but what about CTCM? And the NXPro...? My plan B here is to tell both cards to set MIDI to 300 and simply not use it, with the MusicQuest set to 330. Would that work?

- does the overall resource scheme look suitable? I am disabling COM2 and LPT, which leaves me IRQs 10 and 12 for everything else (i.e. VGA and NIC). Alternately I could disable COM1 and use the PS/2 mouse header which lives at IRQ12, leaving IRQs 4 and 10 for the PCI cards. Am I missing something here?

Reply 1 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Made good progress, but disaster struck. Project now postponed.

I was able to get the GUS, NXPro and MusicQuest working fully and the SB16 and PAS16 partially, and even load a mouse driver (on COM1, PS/2 gave conflicts) with a slightly modified resource setup:

NXPro: A220 I7 D1
SB16: A240 I5 D3 H7 P300
GUS: A260 I11 D6 (rec&playback)
PAS16: A384 I10 D5 (IRQ3 hung the system even though I'd disabled COM2) - and all SB & MIDI disabled
MQ: A330 I(2/9)

SB16 gave perfect OPL, but no digital audio. PAS16 worked fine in diag tools, but not in any game. The PAS16 problems might just be software - I set its AdLib to 384, but all games seem to look for 388 and fail to find it there, several outputting on the SB16 instead (!), and a lot of games assume the PAS16 SB support is active for digital audio. As for the SB16 digital audio... no idea. Possibly a dud card, as I recall these problems previously.

As I tried to figure this out, odd things started happening. The GUS was no longer detected at all and the mouse drivers weren't finding the serial mouse. Also intermittently HIMEM found errors. Removing everything except VGA and RAM the system kept misbehaving, so either the motherboard or the PSU is dying on me. No time tonight to figure out which...

Reply 2 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, fortunately is was the PSU. Less fortunately that means out of four possible units, only one AT PSU here actually works, and it has *awful* coil whine 🙁

That let me progress on the rest too. Turns out there's something fundamentally wrong with my CT2950. Even with a clean install and no other cards/conflicts it still only does FM, no digital audio. Maybe a PnP issue, but for now I replaced it with a non-PnP CT2910 that does exactly what I want. I'd keep it permanently but it has OPL3 and I actually want CQM. Once I get the rest behaving as I want I might replace it with a CT3670 and try the CTCU/CTCM circus again.

But first the PAS16. It conflicts with the NXPro. Exactly what is going on is a mystery as SB emulation on the PAS16 is off, and DMA and IRQ are different. The only thing left to conflict is the AdLib I/O address 388. There I'm hitting a wall - the NXPro doesn't allow it to be changed, and even though the PAS16 has 4 'board ID' options that would somehow map onto I/O address, whatever I set the ID to, the PAS16 always comes up at 388.

Question: does anybody know how to convince a PAS16 to reside at one of the other I/O options (38C, 384, 288, 28C)?

Reply 3 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

388 is hardwired on most non PnP cards and cannot be easily changed or disabled outside physically removing parts from the card to prevent bus conflicts etc.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote:

388 is hardwired on most non PnP cards and cannot be easily changed or disabled outside physically removing parts from the card to prevent bus conflicts etc.

Grumble... this is very much a non-PnP card. What's the point of "Card ID" then? It doesn't seem to alter anything of import...

Oh well, if I really can't change this will have to see if I can change something on the NXPro. It's interesting that the conflict only seems to be with that card, not with the SB16. Maybe WSS is somehow getting in the way.

Reply 6 of 8, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dionb, well done! I praise you. Look at this: Pure DOS gaming system with 100% digital audio output Maybe it can help. By the way if your SB16 is PnP you can try to disable FM via Control Panel custom resources configurations (without 388h FM channel at all), then reinit in DOS mode and you'll see it works without FM synthesis. GUS can also disable FM emulation via its jumper. About PAS16 I don't know.

Anyway if one of your card's init lets you to change FM address you can use it because games don't apply NON-388 address.

Reply 7 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why not get one of those nice ATX to AT adapters with -5v added?

Then you can use whatever new power supply you want and don't have to worry about ancient and dying AT power supplies?

The guy that makes them even started making them with the spade connectors so you can re-use the power switch already in your case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-EPS-24-PIN-to-AT … SA/254124137678

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARUS wrote:

dionb, well done! I praise you. Look at this: Pure DOS gaming system with 100% digital audio output Maybe it can help. By the way if your SB16 is PnP you can try to disable FM via Control Panel custom resources configurations (without 388h FM channel at all), then reinit in DOS mode and you'll see it works without FM synthesis. GUS can also disable FM emulation via its jumper. About PAS16 I don't know.

Thanks!

Strangely enough the SB16 isn't the problem. My CT2910 (non-PnP) works fine next to the PAS16 without any changes to FM I/O. It's only the Aztech NXPro that blocks it. The NXPro itself works fine, but when it's in place the PAS16 simply isn't detected at 388h (or any of the other options).

Bottom line now it that I can do two 4-card configs without conflict:
GUS Classic - SB16 CT2910 - PAS16 - MusicQuest
GUS Classic - SB16 CT2910 - NXPro - MusicQuest

Anyway if one of your card's init lets you to change FM address you can use it because games don't apply NON-388 address.

OMF2097 does, at least for the PAS16. The more I look at that game's sound options and quality, the more I love it.

A bigger problem with games is the limited resource options they allow you to set, particularly DMA. I have a few (Colonization, Master of Magic) that only allow DMA 1, 2 (!?) or 3, so not 0 or 5. That means I can do max 2 of the sound cards with digital audio on those games. A build with 5 sound cards, of which 4 use DMA, is fun to build but, simply not practical with most of the software out there.