VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What was the oldest/first game to support the Roland MT-32 as a music/sound option?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

King's Quest IV or Police Quest 2 probably.

KQ4 came in September vs PQ2 in November of 1988 so I guess KQ4 was first. No Sierra games prior to those had it as far as I can see, but maybe another more obscure game may have?

That reminds me I should make some Adlib vs Amiga vs MT-32 comparison videos for Sierra games..

Moby Games lists:

Game Title Year Publisher
Space M+A+X 1986 Final Frontier Software, Starbyte Software
Reader Rabbit 1987 Learning Company, Inc., The, Learning Co., The

But I have no idea what they are..

EDIT: Wait, Space M+A+X actually looks pretty good!

Reply 3 of 5, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

EDIT: Wait, Space M+A+X actually looks pretty good!

Possibly not. The MT-32 was released in 1987, so the 1986 date already looks odd. In addition to that, there was a 1992 re-release of the game in Germany, which may have added updates like MT-32 support, as the disk count went from 2 floppies to 3 floppies.

I would give Reader Rabbit more credence unless someone with the 1986 release of Space M+A+X can verify the presence of functional MT-32 sound.

EDIT: Unless you meant that the game itself looks good. In which case, yes, very much so!

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor

Reply 4 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I meant the game looks pretty good for its time 😀 Yeah it predates the MT-32 so probably patched it in later but if it DID patch the MT-32 support in at some point it is still technically the oldest game to support the device.

Reply 5 of 5, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

I meant the game looks pretty good for its time 😀 Yeah it predates the MT-32 so probably patched it in later but if it DID patch the MT-32 support in at some point it is still technically the oldest game to support the device.

I'd debate that, actually. In my opinion, you should date things like this from the time the support is added, rather than when the base model was released. This is important to note down in archival/preservation work, as it can indicate that multiple copies need to be preserved (especially where such added support is not the result of a separately available patch). Take Loom as an example. Its various versions have incredibly distinct differences, and are basically all meritorious from a preservation point of view.

But that's just my opinion. Take it or leave it as you will.

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor