VOGONS

First post, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

in a setup with mutiple sound cards it happens that several FM-Synths are available at port 0x388h.
From my experience all cards play music at the same time as all cards hear on the ports and playback are mainly write accesses.
Instead of disabling the resources I typicall just mute the FM volume in the cards mixer.

Does anyone ever has experienced problems with such a configuration?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 1 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

also interested in knowing this, I have the same question/issue

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK yes you can. And again AFAIK people have been simultaneously playing different synth implementations (ile OPL3+CrystalFM etc.) and mixing them together to get richer FM sounds.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reads will cause a bus conflict but luckily all the parties involved drive same data on the bis and roughly at the same time so too there's no real harm happening. This is one reason why I have "write only" option for FM on my sound card design, useful in these situations or using as complement/replacement to exsiting FM chip.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, there is a conflict on read, which is likely an AND of all cards signals. But is there actually a case/game where it is read from the FM-Synth and it breaks for configurations with multiple cards exposing the Synth at e.g. 0x388h ?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably not, only case where there can be trouble is if a clone chip is involved but one that has very significantly different timings and I doubt such exists.
AND function only happens with TTL type parts, but most of these devices are CMOS based or often use CMOS bus drivers and in this case there's no simple answer since both 0 and 1 are driven equally strong rather than 1 is driven much stronger than 0 as it is with TTL parts.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One concrete example of problems:
5-card build - resource considerations

I can't get my Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro (early SBPro 2.0 clone with real OPL3 - and Coxov/Disney Sound Source support) to coexist with a Mediavision Pro Audio Spectrum 16. Once the NXPro is in the system, the PAS16 simply doesn't do anything (even digital audio). The NXPro itself works flawlessly.

Problem seems to be that the PAS16 uses the AdLib I/O for a lot more than just FM, it's also what the whole card ID/detection is based upon. Oddly, an original SB16 present in the same system (CT2910 or CT2950) doesn't cause any problems, just that NX Pro.

So yes, it's real, but it's a bit of a corner case, and neither affects nor is caused by any original Creative Sound Blaster I tried.