VOGONS

First post, by DojoDan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

Sorry for this being my very first post. I've spent a good few days reading up on the various SB ISA card versions, bugs and deficiencies etc, and I'm wondering if anyone could confirm that what I'm hoping to go with will work ok?

I have a win98 machine, 1Ghz Athlon, KT333 chipset mobo. I have the choice between an MX300 Vortex II sound card or an SB Live!. I wish to achieve if possible, A3D in windows (if possible), and a choice of OPL or an SC-55 depending on what mood I'm in, all whilst avoiding any note hanging or stuttering bugs. What I'm looking at is the DOS side of things.

Now, I wondered if I could buy an SB16 CT2230 or a CT2290 and use that for its OPL goodness when I want to, and then use either the MX300 or SB Live gameport to midi for an SC-55? I'm not sure I want to use the Live or MX300 alone for DOS? Sound effects wise (discounting music), will there be any difference between either of these 3 cards?

I only play later DOS games, like Doom, Descent, etc.

I would really, (really!) appreciate any thoughts!

Reply 1 of 1, by retrosoundi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dont think diamond mx300 is a good choice for dos . If you only play dos games play them in plain dos not windows dos mode with sound cards from this era like gravis, creative , yamaha which have dos drivers