VOGONS

First post, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I was lucky to get Sound Blaster Vibra 16S (CT2800) for cheap but the card itself is missing it's bracket. Is there someone who could point me to a right direction where to get a replacement? I'm not sure I can just use some new PCI card and use it's bracket as I believe the hole layout is different and won't be compatible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
sf7ZAK9.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't rightly know where you can find one, but if all else fails, a blank bracket and a Dremel should work.

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor

Reply 2 of 9, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I figured. There are some really cheap Sound Blaster Live! cards in my area that could be salvaged for parts but I don't like the idea of crippling perfectly fine sound card. I'll probably just find some worthless bracket with at least game port hole and modify it.

Reply 5 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That card seems to lack more than just a bracket - also a bunch of capacitors, and a transistor.
A complete CT2800 looks like this - http://hw.fagear.ru/wp-content/uploads/20140413_615962.jpg
Probably not worthy of spending any resources to fix it...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 6 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Printing a 3D bracket is cheap. I had two brackets printed for two XT-IDE cards that I bought and the guy didn't even want to charge me for it, since he hardly used any materials.

If you can find the specs for the bracket (dimensions, etc.) and someone locally with a 3D printer, then they should be able to do it for you very quickly.

I would, however, recommnd applying a thickness of 1.6mm to the bracket instead of the standard 0.8mm.

You could perhaps try and replace all the missing components and see if the card still functions before trying to obtain a bracket..
EDIT: I don't think you are necessarily missing components. Based on a quick comparison, your card just lacks and IDE header (with its corresponding logic chips) and a speaker out connector (with its two capacitors).
These were sometimes purposely omitted from some cards to save costs.

Reply 7 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

EDIT: I don't think you are necessarily missing components. Based on a quick comparison, your card just lacks and IDE header (with its corresponding logic chips) and a speaker out connector (with its two capacitors).

Indeed, I've found one more CT2800 - https://picclick.fr/CT2800-CREATIVE-LABS-Soun … 3583615880.html
This one also lacks all those capacitors - apparently they are only there for the speaker out.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 8 of 9, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I paid approx. 5 USD for it so I'm fine with it lacking some components. Would be great if I could somehow find out the exact type of the bracket with it's specification but didn't find anything so far.

jesolo wrote:

Based on a quick comparison, your card just lacks and IDE header (with its corresponding logic chips) and a speaker out connector (with its two capacitors).

Is the speaker out for PC speaker output? Because the card itself contains PC speaker in connector.

Reply 9 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paar wrote:

Is the speaker out for PC speaker output? Because the card itself contains PC speaker in connector.

No.
Sound cards typically have one of these (or both) outputs:
- line out, where you connect an external amplifier
- speaker out, which comes from the card's built-in amplifier, so it can drive speakers directly