VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been trying to get my CDROM drive to work on my 286 machine. I've tried to use my Edison Gold 16 (ESS) sound card [1] since it has an IDE controller on it but I can't get it to work properly.

However, I have a second ISA multi IO controller on which I can disable FDC, LTP and COM ports except for the IDE controller. However, How does the system know which IDE controller is the primary and which one is the secondary. Neither of my multi IO cards has a setting/jumper for primary/secondary.

Thoughts?

[1] ESS Edison Gold 16 IDE setup (help me troubleshoot)

Reply 1 of 17, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it is happy with two cards, the primary will probably be whichever one the BIOS finds first, likely dictated by which slot it's in.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 3 of 17, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote:

Neither of my multi IO cards has a setting/jumper for primary/secondary.

So they both use the primary IDE address - 1F0h.
You can't use them together.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 17, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some cards I have here allow to set the address but not IRQ and thus cannot still be used together.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most cards are set to primary by default. If you don't have jumpers or other ways of setting it, it's not going to work together.

Try using a sound card with IDE. They were generally set to secondary or tertiary by default, so should work fine alongside a regular multi I/O card.

Reply 7 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I had another multi IO card that did allow me to set the range to 170-177 [1]. I disabled all other features (floppy, com, lpt, etc.) left only the HDD (IDE), but, no juice.

I also removed the second IO card. Removed my hard drive altogether and added my CDROM as the primary drive to the primary IDE. I boot from floppy with CDROM drivers (tried a bunch of different ones, including the drivers I have used on this drive in the past without any issues), still doesn't recognise the drive. I've tried 2 different drives (a Philips and a Sony one), I'm beginning to believe that there is a motherboard issue of some sort...

This is thread where I'm trying a sound card as an secondary IDE (no luck):

ESS Edison Gold 16 IDE setup (help me troubleshoot)

This is the board into which I'm trying to get this to work:

286 motherboard memory issues

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp. … isc/zlrTcuGYCzg

Reply 8 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why do you need two IDE connectors. The 286 can run the CDROM as slave on the primary channel just fine.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:

Why do you need two IDE connectors. The 286 can run the CDROM as slave on the primary channel just fine.

I know. I brought this up in my other thread [1]. Long story short, my case is a desktop form factor and the HD sits next to the driver bays (rather than stacked above/below). This a problematic because the slave connector on the IDE cable can't reach both my HD and CDROM. I haven't found any IDE cables with a larger spacing between master and slave connector...

[1] ESS Edison Gold 16 IDE setup (help me troubleshoot)

Reply 10 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One option is to make up a cable yourself. The components are readily available. I found a few suitable cables when I stripped out P1-3 tower systems.
This might do the job https://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Pin-1-ft-12-Inch- … V0AAOSwwNVTr-Rv One foot extension.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 17, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are using normal 40 conductor IDE cables, you can reverse the IDE cable.

Normal IDE cables have a longer cable between the host plug and the first drive plug, use that between the CDROM and hard drive, and then place the IO card close to the hard drive and plug it in at the end of the cable.

Reply 12 of 17, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:

One option is to make up a cable yourself.

Just take off the connectors from a no-longer needed cable and press them into a cable where you want them.
It's very easy with just a little practice. And probably everybody has enough spare cables to exercise with.

Reply 13 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote:

I know. I brought this up in my other thread [1]. Long story short, my case is a desktop form factor and the HD sits next to the driver bays
(rather than stacked above/below). This a problematic because the slave connector on the IDE cable can't reach both my HD and CDROM.
I haven't found any IDE cables with a larger spacing between master and slave connector...

Hi, would it be possible to use a second 40pin IDE cable (1:1, only one connector on each side) and connect that to the second connector on your 40pin IDE cable ?
- I've seen some two row pin stripes in a local electronics store that could be used to connect both cables with each other.

Anyway, it's just an idea. Never tried this myself.. 🙁

Attachments

• pinbars.gif
    Filename
    pinbars.gif
    File size
    31.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is exactly why you use ISA sound cards with IDE controllers on them, they are often secondary by default or can be either primary or secondary via jumpers.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

This is exactly why you use ISA sound cards with IDE controllers on them, they are often secondary by default or can be either primary or secondary via jumpers.

I tried: ESS Edison Gold 16 IDE setup (help me troubleshoot)

Reply 17 of 17, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Hi, would it be possible to use a second 40pin IDE cable (1:1, only one connector on each side) and connect that to the second connector on your 40pin IDE cable ?
- I've seen some two row pin stripes in a local electronics store that could be used to connect both cables with each other.

Anyway, it's just an idea. Never tried this myself.. 🙁

In a pinch, that should work. It would be best to have that on the end of the three-conductor cable so as not to introduce a stub off the middle connector, and thus cause reflections. Although at 8MHz IDE, you can get away with a lot of sins... 😉

IMO, every retro computer geek should have a roll of 40-conductor ribbon cable and some IDC plugs on-hand. There's just nothing like having right-sized cables.

486guts.jpg
Filename
486guts.jpg
File size
374.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This one is especially customized. Being a mini-tower with lots of cables, it's pretty easy to turn into an unmanageable rats nest anyway. But, I also wanted to support either HDD + CD-ROM on one IDE channel, or (if I swap the controller card), 2x CD-ROMs on one channel and the HDD on another. So my IDE cable has three device connectors on it.

Then, I wanted to have my (lower) 3.5" floppy as A: and the (higher) 5.25" floppy as B:. So, I made a cable with a twist, 34-pin connector, another twist, and the card-edge connector. And then there's the SCSI ZIP drive.

The PSU harnesses have been customized as well, to provide enough connectors and at approximately the right places (plus just a little extra for servicing.)