VOGONS

First post, by deleted_nk

User metadata

I've nearly put the finishing touches on my 486 build with a SB16 CT1740 installed. Unfortunately, while the card is detected and the panasonic CD drive connected to it functions as it should, I don't get any audio output from the card in any program. No digitized audio or adlib comes through in any DOS or Win 3.1 programs, even with the SET BLASTER statement set correctly (the usual port 220 and IRQ 5 + DMA 1) and the drivers I found installed.

Are there any specific drivers I should try with this CT1740 before trying it in another PC?

Reply 1 of 4, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In general, this card shouldn't require drivers for most of these things. My inclination would be to go back to basics. Ensure that all jumpers on the card are set correctly, that the volume control wheel is in the middle of its range, and that you are plugged in to the correct port.

Next, ensure that the sb mixer is set properly so that certain inputs and outputs are not muted.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 2 of 4, by deleted_nk

User metadata
fitzpatr wrote:

In general, this card shouldn't require drivers for most of these things. My inclination would be to go back to basics. Ensure that all jumpers on the card are set correctly, that the volume control wheel is in the middle of its range, and that you are plugged in to the correct port.

Next, ensure that the sb mixer is set properly so that certain inputs and outputs are not muted.

I followed the setup guide here: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … R-16-ASP-C.html

Still no luck getting any audio out of the card unfortunately, the SB Mixer is set to the defaults and I've double checked the autoexec settings again. I'm about to try a spare, blank SD card to see if it comes alive on a new install.

Reply 3 of 4, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Ended up throwing it in another system where I've confirmed the card actually works, the jumpers are also set correctly. It's just in this 486 board that it refuses to work correctly in. No other devices are present in the system except for the VGA card, the IO controller and this card itself.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. That's odd. The OPL3 chips should always work, no matter what. Can you share the specs of that 486 please ? 😀
- Perhaps that's totally unrelated and the power supply is to blame, but you never know..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//