VOGONS

First post, by motley6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up an old HP Pavilion 6000 series on craigslist and have been unable to get the onboard sound working in either Windows 3.1 or Windows NT 3.51. The motherboard is an Intel 810 chipset with a Crystal / Cirrus Logic CS4299 codec. The newest Intel video driver works on both operating systems but I cannot get the sound working right.

The driver package for Windows 3.1 is available on a lot of sites (PUSD4020.zip), and it installs. A couple of things work, like CD Audio (although the CD Audio MCI driver keeps disappearing and I have to re-add it every four or five boots) and playing an MPEG1 video through XING player (although it looks and sounds terrible), but Sound Blaster digital sound and Midi don't work at all. The driver package on all the download sites seem to be missing a bunch of files that are usually in Crystal driver packages. Also the installation readme is truncated. It lists five sections (I-V) but everything is deleted after the Section I Overview first paragraph.

I can't get sound working under Windows NT 3.51 at all. Tried every driver package I could find, including all the ones for NT 4.0 and nothing works. The system installs the Crystal driver through the Drivers applet in Program Manager but no available sound file shows up in media player except WAV, WAV doesn't work, and every program I've tried to play that uses sound can't find the sound device.