VOGONS

First post, by robbyrobot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are there any alternatives to the AWE64 Gold, such as another card with expandable ram, that would be cheaper? I really want one but don't have the money.

I think I've read you can do this with a awe32, is that right, or a good idea?

Reply 1 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An Awe32 with OPL3 is going to be more expensive. If you don't care about that, you can get one without OPL3 (Creative's CQM FM) for cheaper.

Look for:
CT3600
CT3620
CT3670 (Basically an AWE64 with SIMM slots). You can even flash it to the AWE64 firmware but it will disable the IDE controller and is non-reversable.
CT3990 - There is one on eBay for $50 right now - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-Technology- … 49/303194377293

You could also go for an AWE64 value, but to expand the RAM on any of the AWE64 cards you either have to find a super rare original upgrade card or get a SIMMCONN:
https://www.serdashop.com/SIMMCONN

See here for all the different options:
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/07/s … 64-options.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This:

cyclone3d wrote:

CT3670 (Basically an AWE64 with SIMM slots). You can even flash it to the AWE64 firmware but it will disable the IDE controller and is non-reversable.

Or this:

cyclone3d wrote:

You could also go for an AWE64 value, but to expand the RAM on any of the AWE64 cards you either have to find a super rare original upgrade card or get a SIMMCONN:
https://www.serdashop.com/SIMMCONN

Of course the price of the SIMMCONN pretty much negates the lower cost of the card, so for someone specifically looking for RAM expansion, I think the CT3670 is the best option.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robbyrobot wrote:

Are there any alternatives to the AWE64 Gold

Yes, the non-gold 'Value' cards which are more common, usually much cheaper, and do the same stuff.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 17, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just bought an AWE64 gold CT4390 for only 50.00 € including shipping.
The only issue that doesn't has the s/pdif bracket, but it's very easy to create one using a gold RCA header.

So I think you can find one gold very cheap like me.

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 5 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As your new I'll give a detailed answer.
There is very little difference between the AWE sound cards, especially for gaming.
Awe32 is basically a SB16 with the EMU8000 chip. Pros may have Yamaha OPL chip, standard 30 pin Ram, Cons Hanging note bug, nosier
AWE64 is basically the same as a AWE32, the other 32 voices are software only. Pros less noise, No hanging not bug, Cons CQM chip, Non standard RAM
AWE64 Gold is exactly the same as standard AWE64 just less noise
SoundBlaster 32 Same as a Awe32 but based on a Viba16 rather then SoundBlaster 16 (No Echo/Reverb)

Finally you have the the CT192x Goldfinch add on boards, which is the "AWE32" part missing to SoundBlaster, but these things are rare.
CT1920 AWE32 Upgrade, Music volume

Really IMHO the AWE Golds are overhyped anyway.

Reply 6 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

Awe32 is basically a SB16 with the EMU8000 chip. Pros may have Yamaha OPL chip, standard 30 pin Ram, Cons Hanging note bug, nosier

Exactly - may. Not all do, and those that do, command a higher price, typically.

chinny22 wrote:

SoundBlaster 32 Same as a Awe32 but based on a Viba16 rather then SoundBlaster 16 (No Echo/Reverb)

I think that the aforementioned CT3670 variant of SB32 is exactly like an AWE64 (not Vibra-based), minus the onboard RAM?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robbyrobot wrote:

On the recommendations of this thread I bought a CT3670 for $38.00 + $5.66 shipping USD. This price seemed alright and hope I did alright on it.

That a pretty good price compared to what I have been seeing them go for lately. Pretty sure you will enjoy it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Exactly - may. Not all do, and those that do, command a higher price, typically.

Although I think both the Hanging note and CQM issues are over hyped I was just keeping to the facts.

dr_st wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

I think that the aforementioned CT3670 variant of SB32 is exactly like an AWE64 (not Vibra-based), minus the onboard RAM?

I'll concede to cyclone3d's knowledge on this, but even vibra based cards aren't really a deal breaker now we don't use cheap speakers with PC's.

robbyrobot wrote:

On the recommendations of this thread I bought a CT3670 for $38.00 + $5.66 shipping USD. This price seemed alright and hope I did alright on it.

It's got the EMU chip, its got the simm sockets, yeh you did alright. These things are always going to be sort after even if they aren't gold.

Reply 11 of 17, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

AWE64 Gold is exactly the same as standard AWE64 just less noise

Not only this one.
AWE64G has 4MB onboard memory, AWE64 has 512k onboard memory.
AWE64G has SPDIF output including PCM 44kHz 16bit, AWE64 has SPDIF output MIDI+FM only like AWE32.
AWE64G hasn't "SPK OUT" amplified output.

Reply 12 of 17, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Does the SB AWE32 have Creative's CQM FM too, like the AWE64 ?

It depends on particular card, some do some don't and many can be de-CQM'd as some of us have done already. If you see no YMF262 or YMF289 the card uses CQM. CT1978 chip on the card is the CQM one and it can be swapped out for real OPL3.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 13 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CT1747 bus controller is also used on some AWE32 cards. It has an integrated OPL3 core licensed from Yamaha (regardless of whether the trademark is on the chip).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARUS wrote:

AWE64G hasn't "SPK OUT" amplified output.

I think the AWE64 Value cards have this as well. Most (all) of them have 4 jacks.

Reply 17 of 17, by DosWorld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robbyrobot wrote:

Are there any alternatives to the AWE64 Gold, such as another card with expandable ram, that would be cheaper?

mmm... Imho, here is not many alternatives - few card (if fogot about cheap, with cheap - near to zero).
Can recomend check:
EWS64[X]XL, rare not cheap but and not very expensive.
AWE32 3600 (if i am not wrong) - up to 8mb, cheap and restricted version of awe32

CPU: Amd K6/450, RAM: 256M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: EWS64XXL/64M
CPU: iP/100, RAM: 16M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: SB AWE32
IBM Aptiva, CPU i486DX/80, RAM: 96M
Compaq Contura 4/25 2820D, CPU: i486SX/25, RAM: 4M, VGA.
HP 200LX/2M