VOGONS

First post, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there I don't know if this has been Covered already and Apologies if so 😊

I Installed a PCI 128 Soundcard as my SB Live! CT4780 was Giving me all Kinds of Issues both Under Dos Mode and in Windows 98SE. I Installed the Card Absolutely Fine and Also installed the EXE that allows the Driver to Work under Dos Mode. Well the Card works Absolutely Brilliant under Dos but it has Altered the Restart in MS-Dos Mode.PIF that philscomputerlabs.com Provides. I have lost the Option Menu for Extended Memory, CD-ROM and Mouse.

I can Navigate to the Drivers folder and start the Mouse Executable Manually which is Fine but I would like to be able to use it how it was before but with the PCI 128 also starting within Dos Mode

I hope this Makes Sense and thank you 😀

Reply 1 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, if you really must have Phil's options, can't you just redownload his PIF? Then you can compare his content with whatever the install routine for the SBLive added, and combine them manually somehow. The bottom line is that there is no real way around manually adjusting DOS startup files if you want a stable and compatible configuration. It's not that hard, though.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 9, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Well, if you really must have Phil's options, can't you just redownload his PIF? Then you can compare his content with whatever the install routine for the SBLive added, and combine them manually somehow. The bottom line is that there is no real way around manually adjusting DOS startup files if you want a stable and compatible configuration. It's not that hard, though.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your Welcome and Reply 😀

I have Compared both of the Startup Pifs but the Problem I am having is the Order I should Replace what is Missing, do I place it before SBPCI Initialises or After?

Reply 3 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are some things that depend on other things, and since I don't think anything can depend on the SBPCI, it should be safe to put that one last. However, multiple boot menus can complicate things a bit.

You can always copy&paste these files here and get advice, if not sure.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 9, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

There are some things that depend on other things, and since I don't think anything can depend on the SBPCI, it should be safe to put that one last. However, multiple boot menus can complicate things a bit.

You can always copy&paste these files here and get advice, if not sure.

If I Attach the Restart in Ms-Dos mode.Pif that has been Altered by SBPCI could you point me in the right Direction?

I don't Expect you to Hold my hand and do it for me 🤣 more of a Friendly Nudge in the Right Direction so to Speak

I love this Forum, Everybody is Friendly from what I read in other Posts and Can't wait to Contribute any Knowledge I Gain 😊

Reply 5 of 9, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please Find Attached my MS Dos Mode.PIF that was altered when I Installed the PCI128 Soundcard

Thanks 😀

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems like all you would need to do is to add the following lines at the end of the AUTOEXEC.BAT that you get from Phil's PIF or wherever:

SET SBPCI=C:\DOSDRV
C:\DOSDRV\SBLOAD
C:\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM

Reply 7 of 9, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:
Seems like all you would need to do is to add the following lines at the end of the AUTOEXEC.BAT that you get from Phil's PIF or […]
Show full quote

Seems like all you would need to do is to add the following lines at the end of the AUTOEXEC.BAT that you get from Phil's PIF or wherever:

SET SBPCI=C:\DOSDRV
C:\DOSDRV\SBLOAD
C:\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM

See this is why I needed a outside View of the Subject as I have been trying to look at a Way of Adding it all to Mine when you are Completely right I could just do the Opposite and add what I have to Phils .Pif

Thank you kind Sir

i'm sure you know how it feels though when you been trying to Solve a Problem and all it takes is for somebody else to take a fresh view of it 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you Again all is Absolutely Fine now 😀

One more thing but this may be me starting a new Topic 🤣

the ouput is set to analog would that be why I am not getting sound effects in Jill of the Jungle as its digitized Sound blaster Effects?

I Patched it and all is Fine now 😀