VOGONS

GUS emulation with AWE cards

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by eeguru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
640K!enough wrote:

That is an interesting project. How much progress have you made? Will it be a pin-compatible replacement that could be substituted for the AMD part for testing?

I nearly had the synth working last week when I ran into some timing issues. I ordered faster parts but they just came in today and I'm busy with a contract project through the weekend. I hope to post a video sometime late next week with Ultrasound playback working - hopefully in Inertia/Cubic/FT2, Doom, Descent, and the like. I am making a concurrent change to a second spin of the prototype test board which has HyperRAM instead of SRAM - which will also require yet another refactor of the ISA bridge for write caching. So it actually may be mid-August depending on problems/delays.

It will not be Interwave pin compatible. The core will run on an ECP5 as part of a larger all-in-one sound card project I'm publicly launching next month.

I hope to have the 'big four' working for my table at VCF-MW in September which includes SB16 DSP in a soft core, Ultrasound/InterwaveLite in a soft core, intelligent MPU-401 (soft core) with an attached Dream SAM5504B eval board, and OPL3 which will actually be an external hard OPL3L for now until the OSS issues are worked out. Eventually will be every sound card standard + storage + RAM back-fill + WiFi (NE2K compat) + speaker snooping + integrated Dream SAM5504B + Waveblaster header + USB/SPDIF output on one ISA or MCA card (yes, I said Microchannel). My talk at VCF-MW in Chicago will publicly launch the project with (hopefully) a Kickstarter in early 2020.

Reply 41 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eeguru wrote:

(yes, I said Microchannel)

This is awesome.
I mean, all the other stuff is pretty awesome as well. But there are plenty of options for ISA systems... Either second-hand real cards, or the various new retro-cards available.
But microchannel... I don't think anyone has 'cracked that code' yet. I don't know of any retro-project that was able to create a proper MCA interface.
And MCA anything is very difficult to come by, even a 'simple' Sound Blaster.
If you can make an MPU-401, GUS and OPL3/SB available for MCA, that's pretty damn awesome.
Excuse me while I browse Ebay for PS/2 systems.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 42 of 42, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like I'm too late on some aspects haha. I look forward to seeing this ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜