VOGONS

First post, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to use the joystick port of the SBLive in pure DOS?

The system and card are working fantastically but I'd like to use my Gravis GamePad for some games and I just can't seem to convince any game to do so.

Regards
Eric

Reply 1 of 5, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe that the DOS drivers have to be installed before the joystick port will work. These can be found on the original cd, which can be found on vogonsdrivers.com (I'm not sure of your card's model number, so I can't link them directly). The patches on Creative's site do not have the pure dos drivers.

Reply 3 of 5, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I think I may have found another issue. The Gravis PC Gamepad has two switches on it, one on the top and one on the bottom of the controller. Try switching them both to the left. Many DOS games are not able to use controllers with more than two buttons, so this may be all you need.

Reply 4 of 5, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

I don't think that will work. The game port can't use port 201h, since it's on a PCI card. I've never seen PCI cards that are able to provide support for the game port in pure DOS.

I've used the gameport on a Soundblaster Live in DOS 6.22 just fine.

OP. Check your CTSYN.INI file, I'm not saying to copy over all these settings but check those in bold

[ctsyn.drv]
SBEnable=TRUE
JoyEnable=TRUE
Waveset=C:\sblive\default.ecw
PCIPort=e800
PCIIRQ=11
OPLPort=388
MPUPort=330
SBPort=220
SBIRQ=5
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
JoyPort=200

[SBEINIT]
CONFIG=SBESET.CFG

[SBESET.CFG]
SBPORT=220
MPUPORT=330
SBIRQ=5
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
OPLPORT=388
SBENABLE=TRUE
JOYPORT=200
JOYENABLE=TRUE

WAVESET=C:\SBLIVE\DEFAULT.ECW
PCIPORT=E800
PCIIRQ=11

[SBEMIXER]
MasterVolL=120
MasterVolR=120
WaveVolL=120
WaveVolR=120
CDVolL=120
CDVolR=120
SynthVolL=120
SynthVolR=120
MT32=FALSE
DigitalSpeakerEnable=FALSE

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 5 of 5, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a ton!

I've finally figured out why the Gravis Gamepad isn't working. The cable is broken, it goes in and out of working when wiggling the connector. Will fix it someday I guess 😵