VOGONS

First post, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a recent guide for setting up the pi for mt-32 emulation?
Also not clear how to get audio out of rpi back to the sound card input?

Reply 1 of 5, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the latter: The RasPi has a 3.5mm jack that you can use. You might have to force it, because it might put the audio through the HDMI port instead. If your sound card has a 3.5mm line input, you can use a 3.5mm cable (male on both ends) to connect both. I used this with my MT32 and my Jazz16 sound card. If your card does not have line input, you can by a small external mixer and use it to connect all your sound devices.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 5, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is guide here on the fotum: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

I haven't had luck with latest version of munt (2.3.0), so just used previous one (2.2.0).

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 3 of 5, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How about the midi input? Do I need to buy a Roland UM-ONE USB adapter or I can build a cable to hookup directly to rpi uart pins?
upd: looks like I cant connect directly, but with some circuitry in between https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbdNczYovHQ
this makes it easier (and probably cheaper) to simply use UM-ONE

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ahtoh wrote:

How about the midi input? Do I need to buy a Roland UM-ONE USB adapter or I can build a cable to hookup directly to rpi uart pins?
upd: looks like I cant connect directly, but with some circuitry in between https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbdNczYovHQ
this makes it easier (and probably cheaper) to simply use UM-ONE

The serial UART can be used along with a current loop converter circuit. This requires reclocking the serial port and you'll lose Bluetooth support.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder