VOGONS

AWE64 Legacy

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 782, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On WBII the EMU8000 is put into an alternate mode where the bus becomes 68K orientated and incompatible with ISA. There's no way to share the bus and sample ROM is completely different anyway. On PC the work of 68K is done by a TSR, with varying level of failure 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 181 of 782, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Ok, so having the Emu8K directly accessible through 0x620 and providing general MPU-401 access to it through e.g. a MC68K would not be possible at the same time?

As mentioned, the biggest problem is Creative's apparent disdain for the hobbyist community, in general. Apparently, they would rather get no money at all for their legacy chips, than a little, by providing low-cost documentation and a reasonable, low-volume unit price. There have been a few accounts of people trying to contact them about such projects and not getting any response.

Creative arrogance aside, I suspect that an implementation like you describe would be possible, if somewhat inelegant. It would involve carefully considering the compromises you would be willing to make, altering the board design, then a fairly significant development and testing effort for the firmware, especially if you want SoundFont support in both modes. Even then, given the level of integration of the chip being used, there is no guarantee that there wouldn't be any unintended side-effects due to the change in design.

Basically, it would be a non-trivial effort, with a certain possibility that you get nothing in return. Given that they have already said that this will be a low-volume, high-cost project, I doubt it would provide a reasonable return on investment or development effort.

Reply 182 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small update - if you check the most important global marketplace and search for AWE64 Legacy there, you'll find the listing for the one & only Rev. 0 prototype 😉

Some other great news will come soon enough, so stay tuned.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 185 of 782, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think salvaging the original chip is a good idea either.
AWE64 prices on ebay will sky rocket because of this,, and they are not infinite.

I mean look on eBay.
Why is he selling it in that price? It's a new half baked product, not a vintage hard to obtain period correct card.

The point of new modern clones is to have the same compatibility of the hard to obtain original cards in a fraction of the cost, NOT quadrupling the cost of the original and new modern clone. 😵

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:33. Edited 1 time in total.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 186 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Each project has its own aim, pricing and target audience. This project never aimed at decreasing the price, but quite the opposite - making a niche expensive maxed out product.

We won't produce many PCBs (~50), so don't worry, that won't impact on the prices or availability of the original CT4520. Neither is it expensive - average price for a CT4520 is $20, it's cheaper than most other vintage cards, and couldn't be cheaper IMO.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 187 of 782, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

James-F, no. The main point of new modern clones is to have maximum possible functionality. In relation to current project: we have 28mb RAM, OPL, second separate MPU channel, WB header - all rolled into one. And fixed bugs/disadvantages.

The point is to copy original and make it cheap is if we can't find original product easy. AWE64 cards are not very rare and very expensive, let's go and buy it for $20-30 today right now. Who's stopping you?

Reply 188 of 782, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

The point of new modern clones is to have the same compatibility of the hard to obtain original cards in a fraction of the cost,

Says who? That might be the point of garbage Chinese clones. But that is not something I'd be interested in.

Reply 189 of 782, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm also not thrilled with destroying genuine retro hardware for modern remakes but I can at least understand why it's done..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 191 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No only you can, but that's the only model that suits the project. The very first post says that all 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 193 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh sorry, I missed that word. No, unfortunately we need the original WaveROM as well.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 195 of 782, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote:

You aee not copying the waverom? Not that I imagine anyone would, nut could you use the 4mb waverom from awe64gold?

Gold also has 512K rom it just has 4mb extra ram.

Reply 197 of 782, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:

1MB ROM in both versions I believe; 512KB RAM in Value, 4MB RAM in Gold.

The 1MB creative soundfont is significantly better than the ROM. The soundfont dump of the rom is 512KB by the way, so I am certain that it is only 512KB.

Reply 198 of 782, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
dr_st wrote:

The 1MB creative soundfont is significantly better than the ROM. The soundfont dump of the rom is 512KB by the way, so I am certain that it is only 512KB.

Aren't all those ROM fonts compressed? Maybe that's the difference in size.

Reply 199 of 782, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
dr_st wrote:

The soundfont dump of the rom is 512KB by the way, so I am certain that it is only 512KB.

This is interesting, because every place I could find references the CT1972 to be a 1MB ROM. Perhaps it is used for more than just the soundfont?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys