AWE64 Legacy

Topic actions

Reply 764 of 782, by jkamm1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
georgel wrote on 2023-10-30, 19:24:

I will NOT buy.

Seriously, with a card like that you'd be crazy not to considering it has a waveblaster header and an official Yamaha FM Operator Type L chip onboard.

Reply 766 of 782, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DarkVamp1976 wrote on 2023-11-15, 23:05:

Question: Is this card (under DOS) 100% compativle with my AWE32 Card ? Especially for TRACKER Module Player like AMP or Cubic Player?

Yes, all AWE64 sound cards (including Legacy) are 100% compatible with software that supports the AWE32's EMU8K.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 767 of 782, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If anyone ever ends up selling bare PCBs for the AWE64 Legacy again, I'd potentially be interested in one. I have an AWE64 Value that I love but the lack of a wavetable header and OPL3 chip make it a bit more inconvenient to use than some of the other retro sound cards in my collection. It could also be a good motivation to get good at surface-mount soldering before tackling the task of removing the AWE chip from the existing board and mounting on the new one!

Reply 768 of 782, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
640K!enough wrote on 2019-08-12, 15:42:
derSammler wrote:

So you are destroying existing AWE64 cards to build your custom ones? Not sure about others, but in my opinion, it's completely pointless to destroy real retro hardware for a modern replacement.

If they end up with a superior result, where is the great harm in the effort? It's not like they are destroying some ultra-rare, high-end hardware; it's just a fairly common, base-model Creative card. If they can de-activate or supplement the CQM with genuine OPL3 and also manage quieter output, it's already a net gain.

If Creative weren't so apathetic or openly hostile toward community projects, there may have been other options. As it stands, they were left with no choice. It will be too expensive for me, but I still applaud the effort. It can be a great educational or professional development experience to undertake something like this.

Retro hardware has better sounding DAC, components and materials
you will lose the "magic" in the sound if you don't know what you are doing

Reply 769 of 782, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shandavid wrote on 2023-11-17, 13:43:
640K!enough wrote on 2019-08-12, 15:42:
derSammler wrote:

So you are destroying existing AWE64 cards to build your custom ones? Not sure about others, but in my opinion, it's completely pointless to destroy real retro hardware for a modern replacement.

If they end up with a superior result, where is the great harm in the effort? It's not like they are destroying some ultra-rare, high-end hardware; it's just a fairly common, base-model Creative card. If they can de-activate or supplement the CQM with genuine OPL3 and also manage quieter output, it's already a net gain.

If Creative weren't so apathetic or openly hostile toward community projects, there may have been other options. As it stands, they were left with no choice. It will be too expensive for me, but I still applaud the effort. It can be a great educational or professional development experience to undertake something like this.

you will lose the "magic" in the sound if you don't know what you are doing

IMHO, it could be argued that Creative Labs themselves did not always know what they were doing in their early days. By the AWE64 era, they had gotten a lot better at keeping noise relatively under control, but listening to one at the time, even routed through the headphone amplifier of an audio receiver, the limitations were still quite audible.

While I do have certain fond memories of listening to lo-fi tracker music on an SB 2.0 clone without even proper filtering to remove aliasing effects, I very much appreciated the arrival if 16-bit mixing, higher samplerates than 8KHz, and 16-bit sound cards. These early 16-bit sound cards, were still noisier and sometimes significantly more distorted than even an inexpensive contemporaneous CD player. Even the audio jack on a cheap CDROM drive often provided cleaner audio. At the time, I would have preferred it if the sound cards that I could afford had sounded more like my CD player. At a time when affordable external DACs were not really a thing where I lived and home stereo equipment with S/PDIF input was out of my reach, I very much hoped that the DACs and especially the analogue output stages of the cards I had could be bypassed. That's just me.

Reply 770 of 782, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the term 'magic' is meant to imply things like grounding loops, floating sections of op-amps and overly-complicated layouts that are difficult to follow, then I'm personally glad that kind of 'magic' is being removed. Creative cards frequently had some of the worst imaginable layouts that pretty much killed every chance of them having any semblance of a passable signal to noise ratio.

On a side note, I just wish retro stuff being made nowadays wasn't priced to rival eBay prices on actual vintage hardware. I honestly wouldn't mind it if they'd just sell unpopulated PCBs - It's really not that bad to do the work myself, if it means paying a drastically reduced price. Besides, that way I can use the op-amps I like, without having to pay for parts that I don't.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 774 of 782, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aaaaahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 775 of 782, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote on 2024-02-02, 05:17:

Aaaaahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, you're serious. Let me laugh harder. AaaAaahHahAHAHAHahhAhAHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHhhahahaHAhaahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 776 of 782, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's probably true to an extent. Capacitors from the era were better and they actually gave a damn about analogue because that's all they had. As sound cards became more "advanced" they introduced all kinds of internal resampling and other crap that made the SB Live! sound worse than an 8bit SB Pro 2.

Reply 777 of 782, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2024-02-03, 10:13:

It's probably true to an extent. Capacitors from the era were better and they actually gave a damn about analogue because that's all they had. As sound cards became more "advanced" they introduced all kinds of internal resampling and other crap that made the SB Live! sound worse than an 8bit SB Pro 2.

I presume that the SB Live! vs 8-bit SB Pro comparison was hyperbole. That being said, I actually did run some tests on the effects of 44.1KHz to 48KHz resampling on an SB Live! card in the digital domain (no A/D or D/A conversions) using RightMark Audio Analyzer.
I compared it to a modern open source real-time software resampler. The modern resampler is obviously better, but the Live! does not look that bad, IMHO (of course, running udial.wav or a similar corner case through a Live! would be a different story).

comparison.png
Filename
comparison.png
File size
40.02 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Source (along with methodology details and full RMAA reports) : Re: Not so crazy idea : using a Raspberry Pi 4 with jackd , Zita A2J bridge and jack_mixer to make a software S/PDIF mix

Reply 778 of 782, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2024-02-03, 17:59:

I compared it to a modern open source real-time software resampler. The modern resampler is obviously better, but the Live! does not look that bad, IMHO (of course, running udial.wav or a similar corner case through a Live! would be a different story).

Audigy family DSP should be better in that department, because it can do some workarounds with 96kHz resampling.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.