VOGONS

First post, by lmttn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off I just want to say I have no idea if the two things in the title are really related but they did happen in immediate sequence. I got a 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI in the mail yesterday and installed it. The video card and drivers installed fine. However, after rebooting, no sound would play from my speakers, and I checked the Multimedia part of the 98SE control panel to see that it could not detect any playback devices. I uninstalled my sound card driver (of which I could only find one version of, and that one was a pain in the ass to find. The chipset is CT5803. I think it's a Sound Blaster PCI 16.) and reinstalled several times to no avail, and I honestly have no idea what to do or how this madness even began. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 2 of 9, by lmttn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I swapped it back to the Geforce 4 MX 4000 that was in it before and while it at least saw the card it asked for a driver CD that I didn't have, and referred to the card as something other than what it used to (AudioPCI as opposed to PCI 16), so now I'm just gonna try a complete format/reinstall. Kinda what I should've tried before even making this thread

Reply 3 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CT5803 uses an Ensoniq/Creative ES1373 chipset also used in the Ensoniq AudioPCI,

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 9, by lmttn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: I did a clean reinstall. I installed the sound drivers first, then the video drivers. Afterward, I still had sound. Then, I installed 3dfx Tools. After restarting again, I lost sound. After restarting again again, my monitor decided it couldn't find a video signal. This is a completely unrelated issue, but it was my sign that I should probably go to bed/drink heavily/not touch this computer for a long, long time.

Reply 6 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe some bad capacitors on your motherboard or in your PSU cause too much ripple when both Voodoo 3 and SB16 PCI are installed?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel