VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello

I have this non-PNP Sound Blaster card and I don't know what drivers I should install.
The IO is set to 220h and the MPU401 IO is set to 330. IRQ and DMA are software configurable.
I need a suitable driver and software under Windows 95.
Standard built-in drivers(SB16 with AWE32, AWE64, SB Pro, etc) didn't work.

Attachments

• DSCN2785.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN2785.JPG
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The standard Creative driver set (which is also hosted on vogonsdrivers) does work with this card. Be sure to know the exact jumper settings though as these need to be exactly set upon install as they are on the card itself, as it is no PnP card.

Wait - DISREGARD!! You meant Win95, me dummy...:

These should work: (...although I find it quite suspicious that the shipped drivers didnt work with the card. Be sure to check for resource conflicts.)

Attachments

• Filename
    sbw9xup.exe
    File size
    311.97 KiB
    Downloads
    83 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 7, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If that doesn't work and you really have to choose then it is most likely this
"DeviceDesc="Creative Sound Blaster 16 or AWE-32" (The non-PnP version), but the exe file should take care of that for you.

Reply 5 of 7, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did that and restarted the computer. No driver was installed just the driver list updated. I choose Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32 compatible and set the IO, IRQ and DMA. It came back with code 24 in device manager, device doesn't exist or bad driver. Same thing happend whatever I installed.

Reply 6 of 7, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The card seems faulty. It should work with both - the shipped driver and the one I provided (which is the most up-to-date for W9x). Also, the driver install is extremely quick, it updates the driver database and copies a few very tiny files, which is sometimes not even visible as it happens that quickly. Check the Device manager. The version should be

; Date : 7th Dec '97
; Revision : 1.13.000

or

; Revision 1.01.005
; Date 16th July '96

I can't remember what is actually displayed, but the first entry rings a bell.

You could also check for the driver files having the correct dates. sb16snd = 24th of June 96 / sb16 = 21st October 98, etc....

Reply 7 of 7, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, of course it's a dud.
I'm so damn tired of these faulty cards. Last time a hercules card with TTL IC failure, then another hercules with memory failure, a HDC with blown tantal cap and now this.
All sold as working. Return shipping costs more than the cards. Sorry for venting, I'm getting real tired of this shit right here.
This is the reason I sometimes think of just selling everything and quitting the whole retro computing. 4 bad cards in 2 months.
I use my multimeter more than the keyboard.