VOGONS

First post, by sinistar87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a quick question maybe someone can help me with: Has anyone set up a CD-ROM drive to work through the IDE Interface on a Sound Blaster 32 model CT3930?

I've tried several different things to get it to work and can't seem to get it to recognize it's there on DOS 6.22/Win 3.11.
I'm using a socket 5 mobo with a Pentium 1 90mHz, and it doesn't have CD-ROM functionality in BIOS(that I can see) so I decided I'd use this sound card's included interface.
I have the card's jumpers set to IRQ 15 and tertiary IDE port like the settings on stason.org
I also used a generic CD-ROM driver floppy to add the MSCDEX lines to autoexec.bat and config.sys
The CD-ROM drive is set to "Master".

I'm guessing it's something simple like CD-ROM drivers or something simple that's messing me up. I do have a separate CD-ROM interface card I can use but I really want to use the sound card's not only to reduce the number of boards installed but also as something different that I've never tried before and as a challenge.

Any help is greatly appreciated and(although it would take a little bit) I can post both my autoexec and config if necessary. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try booting up with a Windows 98 boot disk and choose "with CD-ROM support". If it recognises the drive, then you know it's working. If not, then there is a hardware problem/conflict somewhere.

Take note that the CD-ROM device driver is loaded in the Config.sys file and the Microsoft CD-ROM extensions driver in the Autoexec.bat file - refer to two startup files on the Windows 98 boot disk.

Reply 2 of 2, by sinistar87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Couldn't get my one Windows 98 boot floppy to work and instead of looking for the other floppy that I made(I'm that lazy 🤣) I did one last google search for just people trying to get their IDE CD-ROM drives working on sound cards and came across this thread on this site:

AWE32 & IDE/ATAPI CDROM

I copyed the sbide.sys file and followed the instructions that someone posted near the end, as well as adding in the appropriate slashes that were missing for the attributes and changing the IRQ to match the jumpers I set on the card, and it worked!

Just thought I'd reply in case anyone who happens to have this same problem with this card wants to fix it.