VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scenario in title. I am having heaps of trouble getting ISA sound cards to play along nicely with the YMF724 using SBLink, S-IRQ, PC/PCI DMA. I have tried multiple cards and different combinations of IRQ/DMA. I usually leave the YMF at 7/3/7 and set ISA cards at 5/1/5 but still often get conflicts.

The main reason I want the ISA card is for waveblaster support, and also for games that have trouble with the YMF (e.g. DOOM), so the ISA card must support adlib/digtal sound as well.

So far tried aztechs, audiodrives, sb16s. Has anyone else had trouble getting this kind of setup to work? Or is SBLink known to cause conflicts with other cards in the system?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much ever DOS game has worked with SB-Link, S-IRQ and PC/PCI DMA including DOOM and stubborn games. The only game I found with issues was Quarantine (although need to test that with different DOS Extenders). I can't recall whether I initialised the YMF724 and disabled all the ports or left the YMF724 not initialised when using ISA cards alongside it. I had 6 sound cards working at one point (5 ISA and the PCI YMF724):

Re: WIP 1: Ezra-T slow-down machine, S370 industrial build...

EDIT:
Refreshing my memory, also ensure the PCI IRQ for the YMF724 is different from the IRQ you setup for the Sound Blaster portion, possibly even the DMA as well. E.g. IRQ 3 for YMF724 on PCI bus, and IRQ 5 in Setupds for Sound Blaster.