VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Will I be good using a ES1868 or ES1869 and using Pentium 133 with speed tricks would be good?
How much of the games supports sound blaster Pro 2 type?

If I cannot cover this 1990-2000 10 year range with one sound card, what other choice for sound that is good for this? I had SB 16 back then and did not know how bad it was.

I have choices of YMF 71x or purchase CT2910 (opl-3) or CT2290/2230 and modify SB 16 to work right as I can experiment using my scope and parts to reduce internal noise. But I knew from your forums about single cycle DMA noise on some models. I do not use MIDI currently.

I could had bought a quality 486 board but i'd prefer to purchase a 486 computer like Compaq, IBM or Dell and add my parts to it is future plan while I play with my penitum 133 box (yet to build once I know what to do with sound card choices. I have other hardware parts covered.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote:

Will I be good using a ES1868 or ES1869 and using Pentium 133 with speed tricks would be good?
How much of the games supports sound blaster Pro 2 type?

Ten years is a bit of a stretch, but this combo will cover from about 1990 to 1997 or 1998. It can't throttle down below 386 territory, so IBM PC/AT and 286 era games that are speed sensitive will probably have trouble.

ESS cards are some of the best when it comes to broad coverage for DOS titles, although specific titles sometimes give better results with specific hardware (i.e. Crusader games with SB16, some titles with GUS, MIDI hardware, etc).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 3, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a ESS ES1868F and it's been working great even for early games on an Athlon XP, using tricks such as disabling L1 cache and reducing the multiplier.

However not all models are created equal. The one I'm currently using has extremely low noise and is labeled "Edison Gold 16 Plus" and "KWX-SC200". I find it useful to use it in "line out" mode as the output level range is perfect for headphones, as contrary to the speaker mode which is very loud. The wires you can see are an addition I soldered on the back - it adds an AC'97 header.

One interesting model is also the Terratec 16/96 Gold (ESS AudioDrive ES1868F). It's line out output is however weaker than the aforementioned
cards, but it's still interesting if you're going to use speakers.

About FM synthesis (it's an OPL3 replacement, not an identical clone), it sounds pretty good although I never had a real OPL3 so it's difficult for me to compare. If you're used to the sound of a real OPL3 you might prefer a Yamaha card.

Finally these cards have the advantage of a WaveBlaster header, which in my experience works flawlessly with the DreamBlaster X2.

Attachments

Last edited by cde on 2019-09-30, 21:38. Edited 2 times in total.