VOGONS

Identify the card in this picture?

Topic actions

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What could the card in this pic be? The one with the RCA connectors. I already have a pretty good idea, but want to see what other people say.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
217.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 26, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some AV card?
Seems to have S-Video IN and OUT, and those RCA connectors are audio L and R.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 26, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like Roland SCC-1 to me

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Tiido - I think that is what it is, but from what I could find it could also be a MPU 401/AT unless you know otherwise. Do you have a MPU 401/AT?
If so, are the arrangement of connectors exactly the same?
I couldn't find a picture of a bracket/connectors of the MPU 401/AT.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 26, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have either SCC1 or MPU401 AT for real life compairing, both do seem to use the same layout.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

they use the same bracket so you can't be sure what's installed - 401AT or SCC-1
either one is great bonus though!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

Just ask the ebay seller, he should know what he's selling.

Heh... I'll just have to wait till it gets here to find out for sure.

The only thing that points me towards the SCC-1 specifically is that I think the number that they posted with it matches the serial number style and length.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 26, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alkaline solution from a battery can spit across quite badly. I've seen (and had) systems where stuff on the other end of the case had rotten away, even though there was no direct path taken by the alkaline solution to that spot. Also, even desktop cases are often stored upright, as they take less space that way. So let's wish him luck that the card in question took no damage.

Reply 12 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've gotten a few systems that have battery damage before and none of them affected the installed cards at all.

That being said, the seller said that the keyboard port works and the system responds to ctrl-alt-del so I am guessing any damage to the motherboard is minimal.

I'll post back with pics and more info once I receive the system.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 26, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be careful with cleaning.
This 286-NEAT was working fine with all that damage but went to hell as soon as I cleaned all the gunk up. The traces were hanging by a nanothread and I succesfully cleaned them away. It took a lot of effort to repair all the traces after my handywork.

Attachments

Reply 16 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vinegar works pretty well. I've also used lemon juice in the past but it is going to be a lot stronger than vinegar.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17 of 26, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use vinegar and baking soda. Sometimes the traces under the protective enamel are long gone and only it's outlines exist.
It's best to make high resolution photos before cleaning to preserve the original trace layout in case you need repairs later.

Reply 19 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So.. got the system today. It works and booted to a DOS command prompt once I entered the HDD parameters into the BIOS.

It looks like this system was used for producing music. There are some MIDI files that appear to have been authored on this system but I will know more once I actually have the battery corrosion fixed and an external battery installed. Very interested to see if anything points me towards anything that is known.

It also has Windows 3.1 on it.

And here are some pictures:

Leading Edge 386DX-33 system. The seller listed the manuals separately so I have them on the way now... kinda sucks they weren't included but whatever.
The shipping was kinda crazy high, but from what I could tell, the seller had it packaged up by Fedex. It was packaged extremely well so I guess it was worth it to keep it from getting damaged at all.

case.jpg
Filename
case.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license

The card in question is an SCC-1. Any way to tell if it is the original or the newer one with the added instuments by just looking at it?

SCC-1_front.jpg
Filename
SCC-1_front.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
SCC-1_back.jpg
Filename
SCC-1_back.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license

Pics of the leaking battery. From what I can tell it only ate away at the ground plane covering around where it was leaking. All other traces look A-OK. 😀 I have already cleaned it with vinegar and am waiting just a bit more before I rinse it off and then remove the battery. Looks like there is a hookup for an external battery but I will have to make sure once I remove the battery.

battery_1.jpg
Filename
battery_1.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
battery_2.jpg
Filename
battery_2.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2019-10-05, 05:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK