VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am trying out a Korg NSR5 for the first time in a long while. I have it plugged into a HardMPU and am trying to get Duke3D to sound right. Basically when I test MIDI on 330, I see the Korg is receiving midi commands, but the sound is a horrible jumble of piano and drum sounds. The little green light says it is in "GM MAP" so I can't think of what might be wrong. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- is there a "Reset to defaults" option on the module? have you tried it?
- do you have maybe your soundcard's mpu also configured to use port 330?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

- is there a "Reset to defaults" option on the module? have you tried it?
- do you have maybe your soundcard's mpu also configured to use port 330?

Yes I tried reset to defaults, both factory and GM. The soundcard should be set at 300. It's a awe64 so maybe I am not setting it right with ctcm/ctcu...but ctcm does print BLASTER with 300. I am going to try in Win98 and see what happens.

Reply 4 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

most likely the AWE64 did not move to 300... when you test again remove the AWE64 and try with hardmpu: if you get music playing correctly then you know the culprit 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 8, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One thing to remember is on NS5R, GM mode = Korg mode. It has seperate modes for GS and XG compatibility. GS will sound the most authentic with Duke3D. There is even a CM (CM-64) set of patches but you have to set it up manually. Confusing module until you get used to the terrible menus, but with practice its a nice addition. Makes a great host for a Dreamblaster too.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 6 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SuperDeadite wrote:

One thing to remember is on NS5R, GM mode = Korg mode. It has seperate modes for GS and XG compatibility. GS will sound the most authentic with Duke3D. There is even a CM (CM-64) set of patches but you have to set it up manually. Confusing module until you get used to the terrible menus, but with practice its a nice addition. Makes a great host for a Dreamblaster too.

Yes it is very confusing. I did not see a GS mode...do you know how to access it?

Reply 7 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I was able to test the HardMPU with a different Midi, a Yamaha. It sounded good in DOS7 at 330, then again in Win98. I had to shunt the AWE64 down to 300 and then the output from HardMPU sounded good. Even better, the slow-downs and stuttering I was getting in Duke3D with the AWE64 MPU was fixed when using HardMPU, very smooth and sounds good! I like the fact I have 3 sound cards in this PC now - an Audigy for true Win98 games, the AWE64 for DOS games under Win98 and DOS7, and the HardMPU for any midi output to external devices - and they all work well alongside each other now.

@Keropi is there a reason HardMPU uses those little explosive capacitors? I would have thought it would use modern ceramic caps or something. Tantalum ones seem dangerous.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I am not affiliated with HardMPU but I will say that tantalum capacitrors are not bad.
Sure tantalum caps on devices that were made 30 years ago can explode or short but don't expect this to happen with modern quality ones anytime soon - (if ever!) keep in mind many many many modern devices use them in SMD form so it's not like they got discontinued...

So there is nothing to worry about 😀 use the card and enjoy the tunes!