VOGONS

Boxed Gravis PNP 1.0

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by erek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WyjhXH2.png

Reply 2 of 25, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"The Best Soundcard for the Internet" -- This is marketing at it's best. Why on earth would the GUS be good for the Internet? 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 25, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow. I always knew Ebay prices are outrageous but it's actually 5x more than a similar card we have on sale here (~$80).
How do they come up with those prices?

Attachments

• gus.jpg
    Filename
    gus.jpg
    File size
    148.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

"The Best Soundcard for the Internet" -- This is marketing at it's best. Why on earth would the GUS be good for the Internet? 😀

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it says on the box. It was the 90s, everything you bought was the best for the information superhighway (TM).

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 25, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote:

Wow. I always knew Ebay prices are outrageous but it's actually 5x more than a similar card we have on sale here (~$80).
How do they come up with those prices?

For 80 EUR I would take one without hesitating. 😀 But by now I've got so many sound cards that the crazy prices the GUS currently goes for isn't even remotely warranted.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 7 of 25, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

For 80 EUR I would take one without hesitating. 😀 But by now I've got so many sound cards that the crazy prices the GUS currently goes for isn't even remotely warranted.

Yeah, bidders jumped on it the minute it was listed. We'll see how high it will climb. It's usually resellers who want to sell the stuff on Ebay for top dollar so I expect the price to stop at $150 at most.

Reply 8 of 25, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

Safe bet it's supposed to mean the card supports full duplex, which is required for Internet telephony.
In the 90s, full duplex wasn't obvious, non-standard configuration was often neccessary - different DMA channels for playback and recording.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 9 of 25, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote:
root42 wrote:

Safe bet it's supposed to mean the card supports full duplex, which is required for Internet telephony.
In the 90s, full duplex wasn't obvious, non-standard configuration was often neccessary - different DMA channels for playback and recording.

Good point! I totally forgot about this feature. I guess today we just take this for granted.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 13 of 25, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I guess I'm the only one in this hobby who couldn't give a flying fuck about owning a GUS.

Then I guess you aren't interested in demoscene stuff.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 14 of 25, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to own a GUS and sold it (and my SCC-1) in the mid 2000s, when I thought this was all obsolete stuff 😁 Stupid me.

I would love to have one at some point, just for the sheer curiosity and nostalgia. Also I would love to know if Panic would run faster with a GUS on my 386. Otherwise it is really slow. 😉

But it is not 100+ EUR worth to me either...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 16 of 25, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

The Best Soundcard for Internet is truly the Phoneblaster 28.8k
ct3220.jpg

pb288.jpg

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 17 of 25, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All these weird SoundBlaster combinations! This must have been quite a niche product for some small desktop PCs which don't have enough ISA slots. But on the other hand this card is HUGE. I don't see anyone buying this card, to be honest...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 18 of 25, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

The Best Soundcard for Internet is truly the Phoneblaster 28.8k

Oh yeah, at some point somebody realized that sound cards and modems deal with very similar signals - same frequency range, etc., so it would be profitable to integrate them into one device.
And that was one of the reasons behind the Audio Modem Riser.
But that idea wasn't very successful - there was that Phone Blaster, there was some IBM Mwave stuff, and that's probably all.

Reply 19 of 25, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also in line for the boxed GUS PnP Pro for €80. Take my money please! 😀

What does everybody think is the best way to find out selling/purchase value of this (or a similar card for that matter)?

GUS cards are valuable and willingness of buyers to pay the price is very individual. Especially if this is a missing piece of a collection. You can't expect them to be selling for peanuts like 15 years ago. Sources are drying up...

I bought a boxed Classic 3.4 with a plenty of extras for £170 a few weeks back and I thought I was getting a good value. Plain cards in unknown condition are often selling for more. And irrespectively of how much I paid I love the card and enjoyed every second I tried to get the damn thing working 😊 . Did I pay too much? Where could I get a cheaper one please?

Yes I know everything can be cheaper on eBay if lucky or even more out of eBay, but it is not that there is a dozen of options in the convenience store down the road. Quality vintage gear from 90s is not common any more and will be very rare soon. Trust me a few years from now some people could be paying thousands for these...

How would you price a boxed Adlib Gold with surround module or SCC-1?

I think eBay is fair in a way that you can research past sales, bid on item or send an offer. Or ignore the listing altogether if above budget. But I am glad we have that option.

Last edited by mpe on 2019-10-08, 14:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4