VOGONS

Boxed Gravis PNP 1.0

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 25, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote:
Oh yeah, at some point somebody realized that sound cards and modems deal with very similar signals - same frequency range, etc. […]
Show full quote
matze79 wrote:

The Best Soundcard for Internet is truly the Phoneblaster 28.8k

Oh yeah, at some point somebody realized that sound cards and modems deal with very similar signals - same frequency range, etc., so it would be profitable to integrate them into one device.
And that was one of the reasons behind the Audio Modem Riser.
But that idea wasn't very successful - there was that Phone Blaster, there was some IBM Mwave stuff, and that's probably all.

There were also Aztech modem/sound cards.

And there were some other ones as well. There is one that was almost exclusively sold as a modem/sound card combo but I stumbled across a sound card only version of it... forget the chipset though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 25, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

All these weird SoundBlaster combinations! This must have been quite a niche product for some small desktop PCs which don't have enough ISA slots. But on the other hand this card is HUGE. I don't see anyone buying this card, to be honest...

Oh, I wanted one SO bad back in the day. I was in a phase where I wanted to Creative all the things in my PC! But more specifically, I really liked the idea of having tightly-integrated audio and phone support so I could do tricky stuff like record and play sound on phone calls. (Not for creepy purposes, but I was a teenager and it was entertaining when talking on the phone with friends.) Also because I had important things going on and really needed my modem line (which I kept online 24/7) to have an answering machine on my computer. ... OK now it just sounds silly, but it was a big deal back then. 🤣

Reply 23 of 25, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote:

What does everybody think is the best way to find out selling/purchase value of this (or a similar card for that matter)?

Anything goes.

mpe wrote:

I bought a boxed Classic 3.4 with a plenty of extras for £170 a few weeks back and I thought I was getting a good value. [..] Did I pay too much?

Not if you're happy with it, and prefer the notion of not having 170 funny-shaped E's to the possibility of not having a GUS Classic.

mpe wrote:

Where could I get a cheaper one please?

By waiting around and getting lucky some day.... maybe.

mpe wrote:

How would you price a boxed Adlib Gold with surround module or SCC-1?

A hunnerd billion dollars (or best offer).

mpe wrote:

I think eBay is fair in a way that you can research past sales, bid on item or send an offer. Or ignore the listing altogether if above budget. But I am glad we have that option.

I agree. What is reasonable to one person is laughable to the next, and that is free-market in a nutshell. If it's reasonable to no-one, it will sit and the price will eventually drop or the seller will not make a sale. If the seller misjudged and under-priced it, it will sell by the time the "listing posted" screen refreshes back to "My Ebay". (That has definitely happened to me before!)

Reply 24 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

I don't think too many devices combined audio and modem in one codec prior to AC'97 (except maybe Mwave).

Regarding later models, I have this Aureal card:

Aureal-Sound-Com-V90.jpg

I have also seen quite a few ISA sound cards with integrated modems but I don't have one in my collection.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Promoting eBay auctions by URL, screenshot, whatever is sales/trading.
Sales and trading of third-party hardware/etc. are not permitted on VOGONS per the wishes of the forum administration.
VOGONS is no marketplace!
Thread lock.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto