VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(edit) Is a modded MT-32 with an extra 4 outputs still play the same from the original two outputs for dos gaming or is the reverb different, does anyone here have/used a modded MT-32 with the extra trim pot to reduce noise and is there any complaints you know of when using a modded one for games?

I have a Roland MT-32 that I need to identify but I need help to do it, it looks like its an old version as it does not have a headphone jack but it also looks like someone modded it with an extra 4 outputs but since I have never owned an MT-32 I could be wrong but it is not mentioned in the MT-32 wiki, I would like to know how to see if the ROM is an old version and not a version 2 (newer with headphone jack) in an old case but I dont know how and what to look out for on the PCB number to identify if its an old or new one too. I have two pics to show the modded outputs and that from what I see that looks like bad track repair and if people here can tell me to go ahead and buy this MT-32 or to stay away from it. I need to give instructions to the seller how to press the buttons to identify the ROM version and whatever else to look out for to fully know what is what, hopefully its a version 1 original.

uc?export=download&id=1O_5pAr_ZE3MjRO_wlT9Ayjh7kdK5Py4-

uc?export=download&id=1jieOfmvZH43p3cJ0_sEDltNgJNF8Vmi7

uc?export=download&id=1CnrT1qW-qycuWWG696hse5S6w0X9ix2C

uc?export=download&id=1y-JnsSZGOuoneiVHbYD2W9o9YYheLeV1

Last edited by GabrielKnight123 on 2019-10-11, 17:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like a Gen 1 with the RWI modifications done to it:

See here:
Roland MT-32 Hardware Hacks for Sound Improvement and Battery Backup
http://www.houseofsynth.com/roland-mt-32-hard … e-sound-quality
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_MT-32#A_ … -party_solution
MT-32/CM-32L ROM Versions - it may have the modded ROM listed in this post

To double check the ROM verson, you need to:
1. power off if on
2. press and hold these buttons : part 4, Rythm, Master Volume
3. turn power on.

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ultimate-rol … 2-tutorial.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great info there cyclone3d, so with the mod on it how bad is it for dos gaming not using dosbox but real hardware like an MPU401? Is it possible to remove the mod back to original condition

Reply 3 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think only the reverb is changed a bit as far as DOS games go. I really am not sure as I don't have a modded one. Pretty sure that a few people on here have/had them though as I know I have seen posts about it before.

I think the sticker indicates that when you use the extra outputs it will output those specified things... so if you only use the original outputs it should output everything.

The output is supposed to be a lot cleaner as well.

Reading the modification documentation, the max reverb level was reduced so if you want super high reverb levels you will want to put all the outputs through a mixer.. I think.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK