VOGONS

First post, by odd144

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I have an AW840/CIW8738 card.

Plugged the card into a "Gigabyte GA-8SIML Motherboard", installed AW840 drivers for Win 98SE and then CWI8738 dos drivers, sound works fine in Win 98SE but if I run pure DOS for games, sound effects work but no music(In Win 98 any dos games that can be run directly from the OS also have no music), no matter which soundcard option I try, in a lot of games music is detected but it wont play any music. Not a memory thing as I have 613kb convectional memory when booting into Dos.

Games tried, Syndicate, Ultima Underworld, Eagle Eye Mysteries and Doom, with all saying detected music card but no music ingame.

My Autoexec.bat is below if it helps.
C:\PCIAUD\SETAUDIO
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T2
C:\PCIAUD\C3DMIX /MFF000 /FFF000 /WFF000 /L00100 /E00100 /A00100 /C00100 /P00000 /400000 /R0f0ff /D040ff /Q0
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /E /D:OPTICAL
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS

Any suggestions, to get it working?

Thanks

Reply 4 of 5, by odd144

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Can you play MIDI files under 98SE? If not, either the FM part is muted or the card is faulty.

Now this is interesting, no it does not and when I went into the sound software/windows sound settings it is muted however here is the strange bit, if I turn it back up and try play a midi file it doesnt have any sound and is if I go back into the sound software/windows sound settings,it is muted again.

Perhaps I will uninstall all the software and reinstall, although my worry is a faulty card.

Reply 5 of 5, by odd144

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
odd144 wrote:
derSammler wrote:

Can you play MIDI files under 98SE? If not, either the FM part is muted or the card is faulty.

Now this is interesting, no it does not and when I went into the sound software/windows sound settings it is muted however here is the strange bit, if I turn it back up and try play a midi file it doesnt have any sound and is if I go back into the sound software/windows sound settings,it is muted again.

Perhaps I will uninstall all the software and reinstall, although my worry is a faulty card.

Well that worked, mid sounds works in Win98SE now however still no music in dos :'(