VOGONS

First post, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to decide what I want to stuff in my Tualatin rig and I'm getting conflicting information about these cards regarding the joy/midi port. I'm aware it can't be done in DOS mode, or likely cannot. I'm only interested in 9x. I understand the alternatives, I'm specifically asking about the SB Live series of cards, specifically 5.1 SB0100 since that's the one I have a friend testing.

Can anybody confirm whether or not you can use external midi (sc-55, mt-32, etc) in DOS games VIA WINDOWS 98s terminal emulator (DOOM, Duke3D, etc)? Very old games that require DOS to run, I can just dosbox or run on my 486 anyway. Not going to bother with the DOS driver.

I would imagine it would be as simple as going in the multimedia center in the control panel and routing midi to the joy port, but I was told by somebody that they can't get that working and DOS games simply default to the stock soundfont on the live card. Only games that let you choose your midi port (e.g. Final Fantasy VII) work for him. That seems odd to me, but this is what I'm told (model in question was an SB0100 SB Live 5.1)

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?