VOGONS

First post, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I have this sound card which seems to be a Media Vision Jazz 16? But has other details I could not find elsewhere like what seems to be a Scsi Port?

Anyone know the specific brand/make/model? Is it any good..?

909F11D4-4F66-4A90-9C88-08ECDB6934EF.jpeg
Filename
909F11D4-4F66-4A90-9C88-08ECDB6934EF.jpeg
File size
765.66 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup that is indeed a Jazz16, with on-board SCSI (the future domain chip nearby the IDC50 connector is a dead giveaway).

It has a real OPL3 FM synth chip, has SB Pro/Adlib compatibility, so for DOS gaming it should be sufficient.

Here's the drivers for it: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=418&menustate=0

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 4, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vynix wrote:

Yup that is indeed a Jazz16, with on-board SCSI (the future domain chip nearby the IDC50 connector is a dead giveaway).

It has a real OPL3 FM synth chip, has SB Pro/Adlib compatibility, so for DOS gaming it should be sufficient.

Here's the drivers for it: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=418&menustate=0

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 4, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh one last thing : that SCSI connector on the card itself is for connecting a CD drive, not for a hard drive (though a HDD will work but you won't be able to boot from it)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 4 of 4, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vynix wrote:

Oh one last thing : that SCSI connector on the card itself is for connecting a CD drive, not for a hard drive (though a HDD will work but you won't be able to boot from it)

Thanks for the tip. Not sure if I’ll even be keeping the card, have quite a pile to test, but in any case, I’m even building my systems with just IDE/CF or IDE/SD adapters, so not even thinking of adding mechanical HDDs, let alone SCSI ones 😀