VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was messing around with some PCI cards yesterday to choose one for an upcoming Slot A build. I was going to go for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz but then my soft side for Terratec took over so I decided to give their DMX Xfire 1024 a whirl.

Interestingly enough, the DMX Xfire 1024 comes with a DLS compatible software wavetable that accepts up to 8MB sample files and runs with the default 8MB DLS sample set Terratec ships with it (though I don't know if it is made by Terratec or Crystal or whoever..). It is usable in a DOS Box in Windows.

DMX Xfire 1024 has a CS4624 chipset, so the Santa Cruz with the more advanced CS4630 should also have this wavetable right? Well, apparently not, or at least I can not seem to find it not on the driver CDs at the very least (It may just be that I didn't look hard enough, if the card has the same synth please let me know!).

Does anyone know if this DLS Wavetable Terratec supplied is a Crystal thing that works with all CS4624/4630 cards or a Terratec software that requires a Terratec card? Has anyone tried it and knows what it sounds like?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 2, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apparently it's by Crystal and Santa Cruz also has it in the drivers (dumb me)

A video of recordings can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDX87rAfBLg

It sounds very pleasing if I may say so.

The DLS here can probably also be used with Aureal cards and their DLS Wavetable Synth as well. I will try to extract and share the DLS for someone to try.

EDIT: It's the same file as the Terratec, CWCDLS8.CLS so not exactly a DLS.. Maybe someone knows how to convert it to DLS? I'm probably rediscovering the wheel here but it's nice to know these things ship with a decent software wavetable nonetheless 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 2, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like we're stuck with the file CWCDLS8.CLS... Still no clue for opening the file. I tried in Notepad++, Sublime Text and the similar LaTeX software but unknown decoder and absolutely no hints. Yeah... I am not a programmer by the way.

Intel Pentium 3-S 1266Mhz | 512 MB DDR-400 @SD-RAM PC133 | Elitegroup P6S5AT | Galaxy Geforce 6600 GT AGP @4x AGP | Terratec Xfire 1024 PCI Soundcard with Dreamblaster X2
Windows 2000 Pro SP4