VOGONS

First post, by akosela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Has anyone managed to make sound fx work in pure DOS using this PCI card? I am using standard DOS drivers in config.sys and autoexec.bat. It is detected as 220h I7 D1 and MIDI music works but I can't make sound fx work in any game/app I have tried. I am using MS-DOS 7.1 in pure DOS mode.

Reply 1 of 10, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On which motherboard?

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 2 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It only works on chipsets that support DDMA. What chipset are you using?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
akosela wrote:

GA-H55M-UD2H which has Intel H55 chipset. According to the ESS Solo-1 specs it should work in DDMA and TDMA modes.

It should. But does that motherboard support DDMA or TDMA? I could not get Solo-1 to work with even i810 unless I used PC/PCI in the past, assuming it would work with the H55 would be a stretch. Cards like YMF724 work with DSDMA and SBLINK on H55 IIRC, but Solo-1 probably won't.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 10, by akosela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So Yamaha YMF724 is working out of the box on H55? by just using DSDMA.exe or you need SBLink?

I also read about WBDMA on Solo-1 from this thread:
Noob question troubleshooting ESS Solo-1 (ES1938S)

It is supposedly a workaround but should work. Anybody familiar with it?

Reply 6 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The description of this forum is "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware." Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 10, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

akosela: you need to go through this topic (at least through first page):
PCI sound cards and Chipsets from various manufacturers...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 10 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akosela wrote:

I purchased a new sound card based on YMF744 chip and can confirm it does work with H55 chipset using DSDMA. This is probably the best PCI sound card for DOS.

That's a great card. I have a YMF724 and I'm amazed with how clean the output is. Noise is pretty much non-existent, and you get that genuine OPL3 sound of course. Be sure to try PowerYMF if you plan on using it under Windows98 for General Midi. It sounds fantastic with the 4 MB soundbank loaded.

The only advantage the ESS card might have would be Windows Sound System compatibility. Using that or the ESS Audiodrive native driver (whatever's supported in setup) can give you 16-bit sound in some late era DOS games.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi